Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

Digital Speed display, HUD, or Speed Limit lights for targa rally max

When you compete in targa rally you have cap your speed to 200kph, else face a fine. Watching the speedo at those speeds is dangerous, and having the Nav watch the speedo and potentially missing an upcoming coursebook warning is also dangerous.

As a result i'm considering:

> HUD, so i can check the speed without looking down

> Digital speedo for the Nav so he can check the speed without touching the trip meter (monit T100)
Note: You can display speed on the monit , but you then loose your total distance, long story... but it's not an ideal solution to rely on the Monit

> Installing some speed lights, possibly a green for <180, amber 180>190, red 195>, possibly set from ODB?

Anyone have any suggestions here ?

Any links?

A HUD is the easier option, but don't want a laggy one or a crap one

There are lots of HUDs on fleabay but suspect a lot of them are pretty cheap and nasty. You could try and track down a wrecked late model bimmer and pillage the HUD kit to retrofit but not sure if you could buy the right coated glass windscreen for an E36. I'm sure I saw a thread on one of the US boards about this retrofit but can't find it now.

There are lots of HUDs on fleabay but suspect a lot of them are pretty cheap and nasty. You could try and track down a wrecked late model bimmer and pillage the HUD kit to retrofit but not sure if you could buy the right coated glass windscreen for an E36. I'm sure I saw a thread on one of the US boards about this retrofit but can't find it now.

Be nice if you could find that link

Does your car have the OBD OBC with a 'Limit' function?

Set that to 195 and wire it up to a louder gong?

Do you refer to the functionality from the 'trip computer?

My 'trip computer' has been removed from the dash. Due to the Fire Extinguisher controller and also the kill switch taking that space, it would be difficult (not impossible) to refit. Perhaps a Plan C option.

Be nice if you could find that link

Will try and track it down. Can't remember what model they retrofitted it into.

Don't think this was the one I saw but it has quite a bit of info about retrofitting an E60 HUD. In this thread they're just discussing fitting an HUD that is available for the E60 into a car that didn't have it from factory so I'm guessing there will be a lot more work to make it work in your M3.

http://5series.net/forums/e60-parts-accessories-mods-22/hud-retrofit-parts-list-69022/

Im pretty sure i have seen GPS digital speedos on ebay for about $100 us. Just plonk the display in front of nav and run power wires, and as long as you keep the car shiny side up it should give a pretty accurate second speed readout.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to although not all of them have the 'limit' function. It's not an ideal solution either way.

But I think there's a real simple way. Why not just program your shift lights so you're all lit up red just before 200?

If you don't have shift lights then get those for multiple wins.

You'll obviously need staged and adjustable lights but I had those in my Evo(s) in the 90's (running off a MoTeC) so they'll be even better now.

Even something as simple as this could do (ignore it in all but 5th gear). Ideally you'd get one that you can programme per gear.

Final edit: if you like the concept perhaps reach out to these guys in Aus - https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-i/

I have thought about a 2nd shift light which is set to the appropriate revs in 5th. Its certainly an option, however in the perfect world it would only displays when in 5th or be speed related as opposed to rev's.

PS. I already have a shift light and use it extensively for shifting purposes.

Easily done with an arduino and some extra hardware.

Looks a bit complicated for me! Looking for something more turnkey.

Don't think this was the one I saw but it has quite a bit of info about retrofitting an E60 HUD. In this thread they're just discussing fitting an HUD that is available for the E60 into a car that didn't have it from factory so I'm guessing there will be a lot more work to make it work in your M3.

http://5series.net/forums/e60-parts-accessories-mods-22/hud-retrofit-parts-list-69022/

As you said VERY cool, but allot of work.

Soft speed limiter via ecu?

Soft speed limiter via ecu?

I had thought of getting the ECU chip map hard coded with a new speed limit. I'm not sure how accurate that is speed limit is thou or if you can accidentally cheat it?

However if i multipurpose the car and do some track work, i'll need a separate non speed limited ECU. A possibility thou.