Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

Where do you go and weigh your car?

As the title suggests.

Where do you go to weigh your car? I am interested to see how much my beloved behemoth weighs. I would also like to know where that weight is.

NZ Autocar weigh some of the cars they roadtest, and as far as I know I don't know of any other mainstream car magazine that does.

It is interesting to see if cars with more 'ideal' weight balance fare any better. I am guessing race car peeps know where and how this is done.

Anyone?

Oh and after I go and weigh my car, I guess I will decide on whether it goes on Paleo or just a full detox. Maybe I will just go on paleo or full detox if I am close to happy.ha.

metal recyclers?In welly they weigh you when you go to the dump,weight in weight out.For the record the 535 was about 1700 kg with me and fuel etc.

Noticed corner weights last time beaurepairs did a wheel alignment in the wife's car

scrappys will give you overall weight and are accurate, they are calibrated monthly. of course they dont give you corner weights though. but thats free, well, you even get paid for because you have to take something down there!!

A good alignment place, especially performance oriented places should have corner weight scales for setting up coilovers etc, your gunna have to pay for that one though!

I will have to make some phonecalls then.

Yeah I could drop off some rubbish to the concourse, but its the weight distribution that interests me more than the weight itself. I mean if you are going to put your car on a diet, you are going to try and take it off where it would also improve the overall balance.

the e34 is pretty well balanced,its why the battery is in the boot

I could use my battery as a door stop to the gates of hell. It really is that heavy. Mind you 850CCA was always going to be on the heavy side. I might look into one of those flash Lithium jobbies in the future. The future is light, bright, and well effin expensive.

Some of the race guys will chime in I hope, I mean they put their cars on stricter diets than they would themselves probably.

Dave storey motors in Albany can do corner weights on their suspension machine

Thanks for that Ron.

Some one should organise a group weighing day...

Great idea! I cant, I am too busy working on it, at the moment it is not even drivable due to a variety of things. It's the kind of thing someone who has the time can organize really.

The BMW Race Driver Series have a set of scales which are used at each race meeting, to check cars after each qually and race for the classes that run to minimum weight regulations. They consist of four individual load cells which then display a weight for each corner / wheel and overall weight for the car.

As said above the top end suspension shop and wheel shops often have corner weighting equipment.

And yes, most BMWs are set up for the driver to be in the LH front seat, not the right. Part of the reason why the engine slants and the battery is on the RHS either under the hood or in the boot.