Sign in to follow this  
peter

E36 M3

This is my first go at this type of forum so here goes

I have a 95 E36 m3, 3 litre and have been seriously thinking about up grading to the E36, 3.2 evo with the 6 speed box.

The questions are, will I notice any big difference power wise, does this model have any short falls and is this a wise move or should I stay with the 3 litre model

Yeah you'll notice the other 40HP quite a bit, and I wouldnt worry BMW have got it right on the 280hp M3 the first time round so the EVO's are pretty much bullent proof. the same motor / gear box can been seen in the Z3m's ... great engine!

oh and welcome to the forums! :D

Stay safe and get the manual, heard the first SMG's aren't too flash.

For the 3series SMG only came out on the e46. Hes talking about e36 M3 EVO model. They only come with 6 speed manuals ;)

3series SMG only came out on the e46

No. E36 M3 Evo was available with SMG - meant to be pretty average though.

Some people have questioned the power output of the S50B32 - basically the 3.0 litre M3 puts out a solid, real 286hp, where as most 3.2 litre cars apparently don't get close to quoted figure (320?). I think the 3.0 has a reputation as the stronger engine in terms of reliability as well.

Not true on the SMG front. The E36 M3's came out with SMG and the change pattern was backwards.

The E36 M3 3.2 has an awesome motor. I've never driven one, but was massively impressed on the dyno run at Bellars. A couple of kW more than our car and 100Nm less, but the torque curve was as flat as the V8.

I'd love one.

Edited by cainchapman

First of all, welcome to bimmersport

There was a comparo some months ago where some guy had both (3.0 and 3.2) and at the end kept the 3.0. (Total BMW Magazine, Apr 05)

The guy thinks the EVO is a better car with brakes and suspension upgrade (and the extra power), but he'll keep the 3.0 because it's still a great car to drive, reliable and lots more mod available compare to 3.2. (The guy had the VANOS unit replaced twice on the 3.2 that only done 88000miles and the 3.0 done 180000miles without any rebuilt/parts failure engine-wise)

That's just one guy's opinion, but hope that helps anyway.

Cheers~

For the 3series SMG only came out on the e46. Hes talking about e36 M3 EVO model. They only come with 6 speed manuals ;)

Silly hybrid :P

Guest Spargo

Show me an Evo making factory quoted power. I'd say you'd be lucky to find one with 300hp.

Not true on the SMG front. The E36 M3's came out with SMG and the change pattern was backwards.

my bad guys :) you learn something new everyday

Reason I said this is I was told this by a friend who owns a banana yellow M3 Evo 6 speed ... apart from the colour the car is amazing. Great to drive, the interior was fantastic but was a pretty hard ride tho. But thats what your buying into, a sports cars.

He tried the 280hp e36 M3 and then tried the Evo ... big difference.

His was fine machincally, I think the whole Vanos issue is basically how they are treated up to 100ks. I had mine replaced at 115kms on the old e36 320i but have had other friends who are still going strong with theirs. (I blame singapore imports personally, and the damp weather they have over there It plays havoc with EVERYTHING)

Edited by hybrid

Dual vanos on the EVO is fragile and expensive.

Or so Ive heard.

Id still have one tho :P

With the money difference to upgrade to evo, surely you could make the 3.0 way better than both?

Obviously to trans. mods, but neons or something?

Welcome,

Havent driven the 3.2 EVO but read that the power difference is significant. Seems that its an ongoing debate as to which is better but most likely personal pref. Have also heard that they are not as reliable and expensive if they do go wrong.

Personally wouldn't change the 3.0 for the 3.2. If i was lookin at changing i'd get the E46.

On the SMG front, I have a M3 3.0 (98 so one of the later ones) and would say stick with a manual if ya can get one. Not that i hate the SMG 1 but it is rather involved in terms of driving and every change is different. The delay between changes takes a lot of getting used to and although you can change it (there are different settings) its not as good as the E46.

You have a 1998 3.0 M3? eh? If thats the case it must have been for the cab only or you are driving a US spec 'M3' which is different again.

I was under the impression all M3's after about 96 were 3.2 'evo's'

Ash

You have a 1998 3.0 M3? eh? If thats the case it must have been for the cab only or you are driving a US spec 'M3' which is different again.

Ash

Thats what i believed too..

91-95 are 3.0L

96-99 are 3.2L

Somehow this guy has the wrong idea :unsure:

Ash

Thirded

??????????

Us spec is 3.2 aswell afaik.

Edited by DirtySix

Ya to be honest not sure what the deal is with it. It was delivered new to NZ in 98 and was built in 98. I believe it is cab only related I dont think we got the 3.2 Cab here.

US spec is 3.0L, 240hp, no individual TB's. It's an e36 330i with m3 suspension...

To be fair, Cabs are always the mongrels and have extended production lives so it is possible that you have a 98 (assembled) 3.0L.

However, I think thats pretty unlikely. Is it an anniversary edition? I know they produced those late. Or imported from the states?

Ash

Car was not imported from the states not sure on the anniversary edition. I will check it out with BMW NZ

Guest Andrew

Car was not imported from the states not sure on the anniversary edition. I will check it out with BMW NZ

Car dealers can register cars here as year of first usage - not year of manufacturer - give us your rego and we can see how it was registered.

i.e if my e30 was never driven and not regoed - and theoretically I could VIN and rego it today it would be a 2005 325.

Ok spoke to BMW today. From what they tell me the NZ market did not change to the 3.2 EVO until 1998. There are a couple of 1997's here and they were bought in through the states. The first offical EVO's NZ specific cars were bought here in 1998 making the CAB one of the last 3.0.