Sign in to follow this  
vtgts300kw

E30 325 Starter Motor - Replacement

Is it as hard as the US forums make out, or have they got a different layout due to LHD?

I need to replace mine, and if its easy "enough" to do myself, I'd rather take the money I'd spend on having someone else do it, and start buying quality tools.

It's not hard, just a pain in the ass. Especially if you have torx head bolts. Just remove the intake boot and all that stuff and you should be able to get an extension bar with a socket on the bolt end easily. I try to drop a ring spanner on the back side nut from the top against the firewall, the lower one can be done from underneath.

• Like 1

Get a mate with skinny arms and 3 elbows to do it.

Put a new or rebuilt one in - if you're using second hand, you may have to do it again :(

As above, it's not a complex job, just difficult to get to. If you have a good socket set with wobble joints and extensions, etc then you have all the tools you need. Room to jack the front to get underneath is also helpful - saves the back strain of keep leaning over the front guard.

Thanks for the replies, i might give it a go. Although I don't have the greatest of patience...

Now where's the best place to get a starter?

Edited by vtgts300kw
  • Like 1

compared to my hiace which was 3 minutes out three minutes in and had it all done in 10 mins! takes longer than that to get the E30 in the air!

Adding to, the early type is a pain in the arse as it has the bigger yoke. The later reduction drive version is much more compact & easy to do.

also if you have a manual trans it's less annoying to stick your arms around than an automatic trans :P

also if you have a manual trans it's less annoying to stick your arms around than an automatic trans :P

Oh dear - I thought the manual was bad enough! - more reason for a skinny mate with skinny arms!