Sign in to follow this  
coop

F20 1 series petrol v td

Has anyone had much to do with these?

I may be looking at a 260km round commute to work each day, most of it on the Waikato expressway. I like driving... Used to do 4500km/week in a B train so it is nothing to me.

Looking at buying a new F20 1 series. New, as I'd want a manual and there are no used/ex demo ones on the market.

Options are the 2.0 diesel which by all accounts can manage high 3.5-4l/100km hwy.

Or the 1.6 turbo petrol that can get 4.5-5l/100km hwy. Owners seem to return around 8 litre city driving, the same as my 320d.

Highway figures can be misleading as a lot of it is from EU forums where they are 130kmh+

What are both these models like in the real world?

Nearly 10 grand extra on the sticker price for the diesel and not a lot better economy... add in road users and the figures dont stack up. Are modern direct injected turbo petrols making them redundant, and they're only selling because they are like those rubbish Hyundais, a trendy fad where everyone needs one?!

Edited by coop

From researching things I've found that diesels seem to closer match the "claimed" economy figures, why this is I have no idea.

I was looking at buying a 2014 Polo 1.2 Tsi, it has a claimed average economy of 4.7L/100k, but from research I concluded that the average would really be about 6.1L/100k.

But after researching some diesel options I found that they were often closer to the claims.

I used websites like www.fuelly.com

NZ ruc's suck the life out of owning a diesel in NZ. Had a CX5 diesel, great drive, torque as but more Eco then petrol, nope not in NZ. may get close if 30k a year at least but buy it for the drive only

Market statistics show that the small car market has shrunk considerably for diesels, and yes RUC is sucking the life out of them - same amount of RUC for a 118d as for a 2 tonne ute or 4WD, go figure? Plus economy of the direct injection petrol is getting very close to the diesel figures - but they are much harder to get close theoretical figures as they need a bit more jandal to get them moving up hills, etc. due to less torque low down in the rev range.

Having driven the new 2 Series Active Tourer 218i back to back with the 218d I would say the petrol was good, but the diesel was just a little better to drive. Could be personal taste as I do like a diesel though.

NZ ruc's suck the life out of owning a diesel in NZ. Had a CX5 diesel, great drive, torque as but more Eco then petrol, nope not in NZ. may get close if 30k a year at least but buy it for the drive only

A diesel is more economical than the same petrol motor,and more economical than a petrol motor with about the same torque.RUC def not set up for small diesel cars.As mentioned above in a smaller diesel doing 5 to 6 l 100 k i pay the same RUC as a 2.5 tonne mitsubishi pajero which uses twice the fuel.The ruc rate for small diesel cars should be half what it is

A diesel is more economical than the same petrol motor,and more economical than a petrol motor with about the same torque.RUC def not set up for small diesel cars.As mentioned above in a smaller diesel doing 5 to 6 l 100 k i pay the same RUC as a 2.5 tonne mitsubishi pajero which uses twice the fuel.The ruc rate for small diesel cars should be half what it is

Totally, thing that gets me as well, when will the govt cotton on to electrics needing RUC's as well, the whole system needs a reboot, no way should a 1l diesel hatch have to pay the same as a SUV or ute chucking a couple of tonne. Anyway go with what drives best that's the point of owning a BM anyways

Totally, thing that gets me as well, when will the govt cotton on to electrics needing RUC's as well, the whole system needs a reboot, no way should a 1l diesel hatch have to pay the same as a SUV or ute chucking a couple of tonne.

Electric cars do need to have RUC, but currently they have an exemption. This will obviously be removed when enough electric cars have been bought so the government can rake in some more $$$$s.

There's no doubt RUC hits the diesels in the pocket, but its still cheaper to run than my last two cars...

I do 650 kms a week and my 123D does it on around $75 including RUC (a full tank is around $50 and I get 1100 kms plus RUC of $58 per thou). My 328i cost $145 to fill and did 620kms (when gas was $2.20) and I briefly ran a Polo GTI which was $90 (@$2.20) to fill and did 670kms a tank.

Roughly, $ for $ including RUC I figure it makes the cost of diesel motoring about the same as petrol, but its the much better economy from a tank and the huge torque of the diesel which makes it fun to drive and cheap to run. Torque (295 lbs) as a E90 M3.

I was never a fan of diesels until I spent 3 months driving one in Europe - not huge power and not peaky, just s***loads of torque and handled really well, just fun to drive.

50 a tank?I guess thats with the current low prices?My 120 d used to take about 45 litres???

50 a tank?I guess thats with the current low prices?My 120 d used to take about 45 litres???

No, I sold my 328 in September

Back then prices were (AA website)

98 was av. $2.30 (328ci @ 60 litrs $142)

Diesel was av. $1.52 in most stations

Diesel at unmannned Caltex in Old Hutt Road (wgtn) was $1.22 (45 ptrs @ $1.22 = $54.90)

I guess I am still thinking 1.50

It used to cost about 70 I go from brimming to empty

Edited by kiwi535

There's no doubt RUC hits the diesels in the pocket, but its still cheaper to run than my last two cars...

I do 650 kms a week and my 123D .

I've driven a remapped 123d and if I didn't have kids I'd own one amazing cars, power everywhere.