Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Gearbox help!

Finally got some time to tackle touring 2.0 and put in the other gearbox. Started and ran just fine. Took it for a drive and noticed it was a little sluggish around changing down. Then halfway home, nothing. Lost drive, lost reverse, wont engage any gear, same symptoms when I bought it.

Any ideas on what it could be? Low trans fluid? Computer? Anyone in Christchurch got a scanner?

Car is a e36 328 auto

Sounds like low/no fluid, should be relativly easy to check, does your gearbox have a dipstick?

No dipstick no but easily checked. I have spare computer here so will give that a go today

did you fit the torque convertor into the gearbox the correct way , did the gearbox bolt up to the engine tightly or normal?

many people smash the oil pump drive by not fitting correctly ,

Correct way? Managed to get it to lock in place and wouldn't come out despite giving it a good yank. Gearbox went in relatively easily once we had it all lined up.

Will look into oil pump drive but would have thought I would have noticed breaking something.