Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

LHD tech II and LHD cars in general

Personally i believe they should retain the same value as an RHD, wouldn't understand why not? But i guess it's a limited market for specific buyers that are interested in driving LHD vehicles in a RHD country, it would be unique though, say for example the few on trademe, even that 3.0 Ltr E36 M3.

Personally I would say there is a much smaller market in NZ for LHD over RHD, there are not many people who are prepared to sit on the wrong side of the car to drive, from my own experience it is a real PITA (especially if you have other RHD cars) if not a bit dangerous, for example when trying to pull out to overtake. Because of this much smaller pool of potential buyers I would say it is unlikely to reach as high a price as a similar example in RHD.

This Tech II 325i looks to be in good condition, but it is hardly "mint" and has a reasonable amount of kms on it, so I would say it will struggle to reach that asking price. If it were RHD I think the seller would still be doing well to reach that price.

Only exception would be any car that was only ever made in RHD, and is a collectors item, such as the E30 M3.

I was 5 minutes away from buying this LHD M325i but the current owner beat me to it. The car is in pretty much the same condition and the price he paid is substantially less than he is currently asking.

Instead I bought the LHD 320i Mtech from the same dealer. It only has 100k and an interior that is unmarked. So that is two LHD E30's in the family and in my experience have had no trouble at all driving them on NZ roads. (Sorry Jon -:) The 320 is my daily, until it comes off the road for some serious mechanical re-working.

Jon is right when he says the market for LHD is small compared to RHD but, there are buyers out there. The is always the option of converting to RHD which isn't a major on an E30.

Personally I would say there is a much smaller market in NZ for LHD over RHD, there are not many people who are prepared to sit on the wrong side of the car to drive, from my own experience it is a real PITA (especially if you have other RHD cars) if not a bit dangerous, for example when trying to pull out to overtake. Because of this much smaller pool of potential buyers I would say it is unlikely to reach as high a price as a similar example in RHD.

This Tech II 325i looks to be in good condition, but it is hardly "mint" and has a reasonable amount of kms on it, so I would say it will struggle to reach that asking price. If it were RHD I think the seller would still be doing well to reach that price.

Only exception would be any car that was only ever made in RHD, and is a collectors item, such as the E30 M3.

This is pretty much what I think. I have only driven a LHD car in NZ a handful of times and hated it. However if you can get a very tidy car that is a hoot to drive as a weekend car, would it be worth it if you could save yourself a couple of grand on the purchase price?

This is pretty much what I think. I have only driven a LHD car in NZ a handful of times and hated it. However if you can get a very tidy car that is a hoot to drive as a weekend car, would it be worth it if you could save yourself a couple of grand on the purchase price?

For a week-end 'fun' car then it would be worthwhile, provided the price was a bit below the RHD equivalent, I don't think this is tbh.

Bruce, you are the exception - dailying that 320 would be interesting, you would maybe get used to it after a while, and when you jump into the M3 all the bits are in the same place - excellent!

If anyone is interested in buying this and swapping to RHD, I would be interested in the LHD parts and swapping for my RHD as I am thinking of converting the race car over.

I am surprised how much I like that Golf.....

+1

The novelty of driving a LHD car in and RHD country or the other way round wears off about 9 nanoseconds after the first time you nearly kill yourself making a simple error you wouldn't make otherwise.

I disagree. I cross over between the LHD E30 M3 and my RHD Clio and have no problem with LHD at all. Even as a daily I'd be comfortable with it. Only pain is when you pull up to a carpark payment machine !