Sign in to follow this  
allan

BMW latest in lights

I can't help but think it's more proof of how cars are past their innovative stage seen in the 70s-90s and now they are just fiddling around with mere details that don't really matter.

• Like 3

Fiddling maybe it brings to me a positive and negative thought. In the correct situation could save some fools life and it is always good to see that little bit more ahead in the dark.. Although it could give a false sense of security and make you feel you can go faster at night than maybe your driving experience will permit food for thought ?

I can't help but think it's more proof of how cars are past their innovative stage seen in the 70s-90s and now they are just fiddling around with mere details that don't really matter.

The next big leap is automated driving. Its already working obviously in several POCs. Merc look like theyll be one of the first to release it into the mainstream. Their system is light years ahead of others, including that google car stuff.

The lighting thing I think is cool however, its one thing BMW are doing in the looks department which is just way better then everyone else at the moment. It makes a nice change form the F10 / GT design days

Was kind of thinking how headlights improvements have been quite marked over the last few decades. I compare the mighty candle power of my Mk1 mini headlights to the xenons in the E46 M3. Even a set of period Cibee's or Lucas 20/20 spotlights struggle in terms of night lighting.

And then there is the taillights .......

These new lights would be hard to miss and the indicators make up on ground lost by the hard to see white lens jobs that appeared mid 90's.

I reckon bring it on.

a decent set of lights makes night driving so much better,these systems also makes sire other road users are somewhat protected from the full blast of high beam

Iol , 40 amps on lighting via the mini's electrical systems would be amusing .

Come to think of it a mate used to run aircraft landing lights in the 80's on his high beams. Wouldn't get a warrant these days.

The next big leap is automated driving. Its already working obviously in several POCs. Merc look like theyll be one of the first to release it into the mainstream. Their system is light years ahead of others, including that google car stuff.

I'll be intrigued to see where that goes.

I think it's problematic leaving a pre programmed computer with a few sensors to make emergency decisions, especially if peoples lives are at risk. Then again, is your average driver that has poor emergency skill going to do better - unlikely!

Really though I just think such technology would have to have many fail safe mechanisms. How does it stop the owner fiddling with the vehicle? How fast should the vehicle go? How reliable will it be in the real world? How much interference will exist with yet again more infrared, wifi, gps singals in the mix among the countless devices already extremely dense inside cities?

A lot of what ifs!

But if it means people that hate driving / are useless at driving let go of the wheel and let a computer do it I'd be all for that.

I would never let go of the wheel myself though. Yuck!

The SEV Marchall Rally lights fitted to my 1972 Triumph PI would light up 19 lamp posts down the road - work out how far that is

Arc discharge lamps used at sea go kilometres

The capability has always been there , what is stunning about the new lights is the colour rendition and the efficiency and reliability

no need for a heavy duty alternator and extra battery just to pump 40 amps into two lights and a bucket of bulbs for a weekends' driving.

its a paltry 3 80 metres lamp posts 22 yards apart x19 = 418 yards =382 metres

• Like 1