Sign in to follow this  
CamB

WTB: Getrag 260 (fit M30), prefer from 535i

Does anyone have a 265/5 dogleg box (E30 M3, some 6 and maybe 5series) available in good condition? Or any ideas on who I could talk to.

Failing that I could probably do a 265/6 or 260 (for M30) but would need to find a 4.27:1 medium case ratio at the same time, which is probably only marginally easier. (Edit) based on Geoff's reply below I am now happy to more actively consider this option, although would still prefer a dogleg 265/5.

Looking for a Getrag 260 for M30 (prefer 535i), with release fork, m/c (maybe), shift cradle too.

Reply here, PM or cameron.baudinet@gmail.com

Am in Auckland.

Edited by CamB

i HAVE A 4.27 RATIO MEDIUM CASE E30 LSD

Geoff

021 449 242

Are you looking for just the 265 gearbox, or do you want a bell- housing as well ?

contact kayne barrie motorsports

Thanks Brent - will do.

Jon - I will need a bell housing although interested in whatever is available (ie won't necessarily turn away one without a bell housing...).

It's for an M10 in a 2002, so I think I am ok with a 265 or 260 from behind either an S14 or M30. I don't need sensor holes, will need to figure out starter / flywheel (am hoping my 228mm tii ones will work), etc. Main concern is physical size - it's bigger than what I have, so will be tight. I should probably try and work out what the smallest option is out of 265s and 260.

And to answer the obvious question, the M10 will have a turbo, so a stronger gearbox is a good idea.

Dan Slater is selling some later model boxes and strong

I've never had chance to put the 265 next to a 260, but it (the 265) is certainly a big heavy box. Sat much further back in the tunnel than the ZF 5-speed I had in the E30, and certainly weighed a lot more. The rubber donut is much larger, which also means the driveshaft has to go up in flange size. IIRC the ZF is the same as the Getrag 240, so a bit smaller than the the 260, but I would expect the 260 to be smaller/lighter than the 265.

Another issue would be the price and getting hold of one. 265/5 is a $2.5k+ gearbox plus a couple hundy for the bell-housing if you can find one before it's snapped up. 260 would be about $4-500 in comparison. The US spec h-pattern 265/6 can be got for about US$300 + shipping which might be a good solution?

No idea about the newer boxes sorry, or which will fit.

I don't think you can put newer boxes on an M10/M30/S14/S38 (happy to be corrected).

Those are all valid points - I had been approaching this on the basis a 265/5 is expensive but has better ratios and works with the diff I have. If I avoid changing diff ratio, that's cost I can put towards the price difference to the expensive box.

Given Geoff's indicated availability on a diff ratio, I think I need to put some more effort into googling a size comparison. It's not like I have a lot of room to start with... And ability to fit might have to trump ideal ratios.

contact kayne barrie motorsports

I've now done this. He essentially talked me round to a G 260, on the basis it will be the most cost effective vs strength option.

First post modified accordingly, and now looking for a Getrag 260 from an M30 (preferably ex 535i), including shift cradle, clutch arm (release fork).

Cam

• Like 1

I want a 260 box aswell for a m10 but for a e30 including bellhousing prefered.

good boy yes he is correct the G260 from a 535i 635csi 735i e28 e34 e23 e24 etc is a better ,stronger box than a dogleg 265 etc

I have a g260 that needs 2 main bearings if that helps .

kayne could sort it out for you

also have flywheel/clutch options