Sign in to follow this  
vtgts300kw

Tips For Storing A Car?

I've put the registration on hold for the E30 and am keeping it in the garage for the foreseeable future, whilst I get around to fixing/ replacing a whole bunch of stuff on it.

Any tips for keeping it all kosher? I've disconnected the battery, am rotating the tyres every week ( will get around to getting some axle stands ), stuffed some rags in the exhaust and covered it in sheets/ blankets with the sunroof and a couple of windows cracked open.

Anything else i'm forgetting? Anything else I need to do periodically? Should I have topped the tank up? From memory, there won't be much gas left in there.

Use higher octane gas if topping the tank up. It lasts longer than 91 before going off. Either that, be prepared to drain the tank if leaving it for a couple of years.

One a month pump the brake pedal a few times. Do the same with the clutch.

Buy a trickle charger for the battery and leave it connected.

i'd also look at starting the engine every few months so the cam belt isnt left in the same position and the cylinder bores / valve train gets lubicated as well.

I do this for my Ducati which has done less the 20 kms in the past three years but never have any issues relating to sitting.

• Like 1

Should have clarified, it'll be back on the road in about 6-months.

So I guess its not really storing... Just a hibernation.

Rodent traps.

Yeah Blair found that out the hard way!

Should have clarified, it'll be back on the road in about 6-months.

So I guess its not really storing... Just a hibernation.

In that case, nothing really. My E30 and E34 alternate all the time, havent driven my E34 since September when the WOF ran out, havent done a thing other than start ocassionally, and keep battery charged up

• Like 1

Yeah Blair found that out the hard way!

Yeah rats loved the fuse box and clutch fluid reservoir!

I remember seeing at BMworkshop what Mice/rats did to the engine wiring loom of a beautiful red e34 M5.

Found this in the air intake snorkel of my M5 :

mouseh.jpg

• Like 3

Put a trickle charger on the battery and do an oil change so it has nice new oil sitting in it.