Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Boom !

Driving back from Tauranga on the weekend, I had a slight incident.

All of a sudden the steering wheel began to shudder violently... I turned down my stereo to notice that it wasnt my non existant bass.

Basically I've killed my M20 2.0L and I'm not a very happy chappy. The repair bill is pretty high and I'm looking at a few options.

1) Buy a 2.5L engine and hook it up with the help of others

2) Buying a new car (possibly not an E30)

3) Paying the repair bill and have it fixed

4) Buy a new engine and pay for professional install

If I'm getting a new engine it will be no less than 2L (320,323,325) and preferably manual gearbox.

The car is being stored in the workshop half way to tauranga and will need to be towed back on a trailor. If anyone has any ideas where I'm able to rent a trailor be sure to post them up, I'm going to talk to my mate see if I can borrow the club trailor to get it back upto Auckland, estimated towtruck cost was going to be between $300 - 500.

At the moment I'm leaning towards doing a complete 2.5L engine + 5 speed manual gearbox conversion as sorta a holiday project, its going to be a tedious process so will require a bit of advice and maybe some labour here and there.

Doing a conversion would end up being quite useful as I would then be able to replace the consumables that would normally need replacing after my 320 engine got fixed. Would seem like a fresh engine again.

Oh and if anyone wants a cheap M20 manual - > auto conversion :) I've got one going cheap.

Thanks guys, your thoughts are welcome provided your names not sic :P.

buy a honda? :lol::lol::lol:

Cowleys Hire has trailers - i think thy're in east tamaki.

Gd luck whatever u end up doing.

I'll wait till written report comes back, basically one of the pistons stayed up and there was a collision that caused all hell to break loose. 128,000km's .... gutted like a fish :(.

Edited by E30stz

That sucks man - really sucks.

What did it?

EDIT: Just saw your other post. Sounds pretty bad. AFAIK the piston cant just "stay up there" - must have been cam belt break or slip. Either way, sucks hard.

Sorry man

Edited by ipwnyou

really sucks after passing up the M325 on trademe just last week and purchasing an overpriced iS lip instead. Oh the poorness.

[edit] with the piston there was a chain of events before hand, thats just wat I was told so far, as i said wait for hte report and I'll post up full details. The guy spent 2mins on the phone just explaining.. this broke, which in turn caused this to break which broke this this this and this and yea... [/edit]

Edited by E30stz

Fark, gutted for you Andy + you don't deserve that sh*t :(

I'd go with a 2.5 + manual. Then you'd be more happy :D

Good luck with it all. I have a trailer but its no use in Dunedin is it lol

Edited by BMW POWER

it wasnt the cam belt that snapped, dunno bout buyin a new E34 as I dont know that I have that much coin at the moment.

get a honda.

bmw valves having sweet love with your pistons?

Soooo gutted for you man

Sounds like you put a lot of effort into the car and all for it to sh*t itselft at that little K's really sucks.

Selling the iS lip?

put a nissan engine in it! :D

May have sold the iS lip already aye. Was thinking about turbo but nah .... just not right. M20 2.5 will do me fine :)

Guest Andrew

bmw valves having sweet love with your pistons?

mine sure did -

That sucks - I do however have some advice.

Don't use an engine blow up to go insane and build a race car :P

Looked into any Jappa swaps?

dont dis 'sic love'.

its good for everybody.

im all up in your shizzle

Can I get a list of things I should look at replacing/upgrading while doing an engine conversion just so I can start drawing up some prices.

The car is 2 lights of requireing a service so may as well get that stuff done while the engines being worked on.

Engine

Engine Mounts

Cam belt

Waterpump

Oil filter

Fluids

Air filter

Gearbox

Gearbox mounts

Clutch Kit

Clutch master cylinder

Slave Cylinder

Edited by E30stz

Spark Plugs, check plug below intake manifold if f/l for corrosion as per Williams advice on anothe thread.

Inspect control arm bushes, areas for rust, brakes, driveshaft donut/guibo/flexinle coupling, Center hanger bearing :P , shift selector bushes/ knuckle, shfter nylon cups, go a shortshift?

dam you guys know so much! if i have sloppy shift, roughly what does it cost to fix? and how long? thanks :rolleyes:

Guest Andrew

got the car back today, will post pics tomorrow morning. Rocker arms so fooked.

is that all?

nah shitloads more, but i havent had hte chance to take off the head yet, those were the only pieces supplied outside the engine so far.