Sign in to follow this  
extski

E36 tyre fitment

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting some new tyres for my 95 M328is coupe. It's standard height, running DS1 M3 wheels, currently with 235/40/17's all round. I don't have any rubbing (apart from a very small amount at full lock). I'm wondering if I could fit 235/45/17's on? I'm replacing the front's at the moment but would like to be able to keep the front and back's the same, so also wondering if 45's will fit on the rears when it's time to do those.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Angus

Correct tyres for your 328i coupe are 235/40/17 on 7.5 rims and you shouldn't experience any rubbing unless there is a set up / geometry issue.

If you have M3 staggered fitment then it is 225/45/17 fronts and 245/40/17 rears

You could fit 235/45 however this will gear the vehicle up and increase rubbing at the front and possibly rub on the rear on full compression of the suspension.

Is there a reason why you want to go to 235/45?

As far as I'm aware all the rims are the same width, (haven't had them off to look properly) and as I mentioned they're all wrapped in 235/40/17's at the moment. Only reason I was thinking of going 235/45's was that there are some Michelin PS3's for sale in that size on TM that are pretty cheap. I don't want to put shitty, cheap tyres on but at the same time I don't really want to spend $260-$300/tyre either. If the 45's wont fit, then that's all good and I'll just have to suck it up. Just wanted to see if it would be possible that's all.

just because it fits, doesnt mean you should.

you need to first check the width of your wheels.

DS1s are not staggered. Square 7.5".

Id rather go with some slightly cheaper tyres of the correct size, than high end tyres in the wrong size (as i just did, Replaced a pair of Continentals that were too wide on the front of my new car with some Nexens of the correct size. Fixed a whole bunch of issues, drives much better).

Not looking to start an argument here but everything I have read says 225/45/17 is the correct fitment for a BMW 17 x 7.5 inch wheel, I know a 235 will fit but I can't see where its the recommended fit.

That's good to know, thanks for the advice. I'll try and source some decent tyres as I'm not really keen on running budget ones. I've got Toyo T1s' on the rears at the moment and find them to be really good, so might just try and source some of those in the 235/40/17's. Thanks again

Rubbing: BMW dealers kept a stock of rack limiters for E36's on 17" wheels as some would rub.

My (1997) door plate shows:

The only 17" tyres it shows are the staggers - 7.5" front, 8.5" rear. So it would appear that a 225/45/17 is correct for an E36.

post-2945-0-97016500-1424515641_thumb.jp

Edited by Jo M

Well that seems pretty clear then, hard to argue with an official BMW door plate.

The Evos had different wheel and tyre sizes. Wish i still had a photo of my M3 plate to shut everyone up.

Anyone of the S50B30 owners care to chime in?

No Ron, you will find the early 3L M3 all had the Style 22 (Dual Spoke 1) wheels. 17x7.5 square. These are the wheels the OP is referring to.

fJyeBEw.jpg

Weird that my speedo reads a little low. GPS says 108kmh while the analogue speedo reads a hair above 100