Sign in to follow this  
T.N.R

This Isn't Normal?

I bought this brand new OEM shifter through BMW, it seems to have way too much play. My original 20 year old shifter still has zero play.

Is it broken?

I'm not sure how to insert video inline, so here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2COlTEB04

By the way, I'm only using two fingers to cause this movement. It doesn't require much at all.

Edited by T.N.R

Yeah, something's not right there. Shouldn't be much (if any) movement between those two parts of the shifter.

Almost like the rubber is not hard / dense enough around the shaft so it has too much give in it.

Was it in it's original unopened and labelled container ? I won't accept anything that has been opened from anyone unless I'm buying second hand

This is how it was straight from Team McMillen to my hands.

IMG_1629_zpsblue27z3.jpg

Everyone I've asked says its defective for sure, BMW don't want to take it back. I'll try again.

That is stuffed. Should be obvious to anyone at BMW.

To be completely fair what happened was: When I took the shifter back the parts guy who I ordered it thorough had a look at it with his other parts adviser colleague. After a few mins he came back to me and said I'm going to show this to the technician. When he came back he said the technician says hes not sure if there is anything wrong with it so install it in your car and if there is a problem bring the whole car in and we will take a look at it.

So I asked if they would just return it without me installing it (I mentioned my old shifter had zero play) he talked to someone who said it could be made like this for vibration reasons so no. I asked if they could call BMW overseas or anyone who knows the part better, he said no.

Anyway like I said I'll try to return it again, my car is in the middle of an engine swap and I wont be able to take it to them for a while anyway.

The whole thing is without a doubt lower quality than the older shifters anyway. It sounds/feels hollow, the ball is plastic as compared to metal, the rubber seems softer, the metal handle part has kind of stretch marks (not sure how to explain but the aluminum seems stretched too much).

Edited by T.N.R

I just picked up a brand new e39 M5 shifter very similar to your one. Has much less play in that rubber bushing. Sounds like your one was damaged in transit or faulty rubber used.

Edited by BreakMyWindow

yea i agree with the others, get it replaced, my 2002 shifter was tighter than that at 40 yrs old lol

good luck!

yea i agree with the others, get it replaced, my 2002 shifter was tighter than that at 40 yrs old lol

good luck!

I'm guessing it wasn't a 40 year old virgin either.

Anyway thanks everyone for the opinions/experiences. I'll try to return it again and see what they say.