Sign in to follow this  
treone

Thoughts on this e39 Msport

Thanks for all the advice. Checked the VIN and this looks to be genuine with sport suspension. It really does look better in the flesh than in the pics - really a fan of that interior.

Spoke to trader today and its under offer (subject to finance). Tells me if its still listed on Monday then its available - looks like I may have missed this one :(

had this inspected over the weekend. It is in very good mechanical condition which was a pleasant surprise. BUT... there was evidence of water getting into the rear cabin as the rear carpets were soaking wet (among other things). Up until then this was looking like a great buy and was almost going to purchase.

std feature on e39's , rear door card plastic seal and maybe rear door seals ,

pretty easy fix

• Like 2

Thanks Brent - my thoughts also. Spoke to the dealer and told him the faults found were mainly: misfire cylinder 3, passenger upper seat twist and the soaking rear carpet. Comments back - seat will stay like that and won't be fixed, will dry the carpet and put the hose over it to see if there is a leak (sensed they won't/don't want to fix leak) and the misfire is an easy fix for someone. There's probably not enough margin in it for the dealer as they kept saying its just as it was traded and its a good price.

Also inspected another 525i msport that had some worn suspension - tie rod ends, banana arms and rear tyres worn on the inside.

I suppose it may come down to sort suspension on one or chase a leak, but thinking both of these are good buys -

sooooo which is the lesser evil - leak or suspension? comments welcome

realistically, ANY E39 you buy needs suspension - they're either poked, or have just been done!

Most Kiwis (who we know SUCK at looking after cars) will have just replaced the odd part here and there, and left the other part owrn bits to wear the new bits faster. A complete rebuild really tightens them up.

The suspension eats itself faster that the cooling system melts!

• Like 1

Yeah, its an expensive exercise buying an e39 owned by the average person, in the long term.