Sign in to follow this  
Apex

What cars would Kiwi enthusiasts want?

Yes, and a rather gutless 2.3 4 cylinder one that is 25 years old are asking around $30k!

However as someone who likes (old) Mercedes I'd look at,

560SEC 88-91

W116 450SEL 6.9

W109 300SEL 6.3

W111 coupe

W108 V8 & twin cam 2.8 6

W115 coupe 2.5 & 2.8

All the above are rare (in NZ) desirable models that command more $$$ here than the UK, from what I've seen online and in MB enthusiast magazines.

I've toyed with the idea of bringing in an E39 M5, seems mint low mileage ones can be had for no more than 10k gbp. Average one with 100-120k miles 5k gbp.

I sort of meant that by saying a 2006+ vehicle. Unless you are unlucky most would be Euro 4 exhaust emissions as the NZ standard is still 2007. The SIV route is safest for older LV cars. Before doing anything I recommend finding out when they intend switching to Euro 5 as you don't want to get caught out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True. Have seen a few cars in a yard that can't be registered. Nice cars.

I'm keen to get myself a M3 to keep. There are still a few nice E30 M3's that are reasonably priced in Europe. That would be a keeper though.

Was keen on a 2006 Clio 182 Trophy to hoon around Europe in, but it may not meet compliance in NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the NZTA web-site Graham, there is a category called "Immigrant's Cars" provided you have owned and driven it overseas, for a set length of time (12 months IIRC), then you can bring anything in through this category without a need for it to comply. You would be eligible as a returning Kiwi for this category. You can only bring one vehicle in through this route. How long are you planning to be away for?

Not so sure about reasonably priced E30 M3s in Europe, the one on TradeMe for $50k (approx 25k GBP) is much nicer than most listed on UK sites for much more money. Germany is the same, demand is outstripping supply at the moment. Maybe Eastern Europe but you are well into "buyer beware" territory there..

A cheap rusty E46 M3 would make a great race car... and compliance isn't an issue if it's track only. Might be a few $$$s in selling off the interior, etc.

G wagons. Mainly to sell to the ponsy "celebs" and the wannabe rich kids.

Dylan if you are reading this, you are one of only probably a few exceptions ;)

I would love a G wagon. The G55 AMG Supercharged or later Turbo.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that "Europe" and "England" are vastly different markets for used cars.

If you're getting one from the UK it will either be rusty or expensive (pick one) and there's no margin in rusty or expensive cars. If you're getting one from Europe then it'll be LHD so you'll have to sell it to a collector (or an idiot) and it would need to be mint to do that.

You're better off taking an E36 M3 Evo or E46 M3 CSL from NZ to the UK at the moment, that's the way to make money.

'Might' be rusty...My offer of $100 to anyone who finds any corrosion at all on or under my 2012 UK import still stands. If none found you pay me.

I'll assume yours is expensive then. ;)

LOL...guilty.

• Like 1