Sign in to follow this  
kdalton

E36 M50B25 Turbo Manifold

Hey guys

I want to turbo my e36 325i but I have no idea where to find a turbo manifold. I am from Wellington. If you have one please state a price or if you know where to find on that would be very helpful.

Cheers!

Guest MP0wer

You could try turners or there are some cheap ones in ebay with cheap headers but they cant take a lot of boost.

and the us ones are built for rhd cars. When there is a steering column in the way your in for a whole heap of fun.
What is your budget for the manifold?
Cheap- go for some sort of log manifold, heaps of people that have used a welder for 2 seconds can make them.
Not so cheap- check out what garrett had made by sinco

and the us ones are built for rhd cars. When there is a steering column in the way your in for a whole heap of fun.

What is your budget for the manifold?

Cheap- go for some sort of log manifold, heaps of people that have used a welder for 2 seconds can make them.

Not so cheap- check out what garrett had made by sinco

I think I would want to spend around $500 but that price could change depending on the quality of the manifold.

Also does anyone know a shop in wellington that could fabricate a turbo manifold? as there doesn't seem to be much room to fit one on the RHD models..

Id just slip a 1JZGTE in, easier, straight up and down motor, basic mounts need to be made up front, rear mount is easy. Custom drive shaft. Join some wires up, exhaust, intake/intercooler, maybe upgrade the brakes, throw a couple of driveshaft hoops in and get a cert.

Super reliable 300hp/400nm 325i then :D

• Like 1

you can make 300hp on the B25 without trying plus less work than a transplant

• Like 2

Guest MP0wer

Id just slip a 1JZGTE in, easier, straight up and down motor, basic mounts need to be made up front, rear mount is easy. Custom drive shaft. Join some wires up, exhaust, intake/intercooler, maybe upgrade the brakes, throw a couple of driveshaft hoops in and get a cert.

Super reliable 300hp/400nm 325i then :D

off topic, but why go the 1JGTE route when you can go the all BMW Route, I am talking the M60/M62 motors. That way car remains BMW, not some German Body and JAP heart in there.

Well it just seems more logical.

Use a good chassis then add in a proven & reliable turbo engine with plenty of potential. Far more potential than the overrated M60/M62 engines, if you got to that difficulty an S62 is the better option.

That said, sure you could get those gains easily enough with an M50B25 + turbo like Steve said. I just wouldn't go that route.

The all BMW route is good, if using M engines in M chassis. Otherwise the rest aren't anything special, people get too caught up with the brand issues. It's all about making a fun car while spending wisely.

I may have read this wrong so please forgive but im pretty sure there's a slight difference in price between having a budget of 500 for a manifold versus a 8-10k + transplant, just a thought

I may have read this wrong so please forgive but im pretty sure there's a slight difference in price between having a budget of 500 for a manifold versus a 8-10k + transplant, just a thought

Haha. True. I missed that!

But a $500+ manifold is just part of it. I mean you'd know what is possible for what costs given your profession etc

However I can't help but think of the following costs

Manifold $500.... Then the rest:

Custom dump pipe / flange to stock exhaust $200+

Injector upgrade $200+ (or leave as standard?)

Fuel regulator / pump? $200-400+

Turbocharger itself $500-$1500+

Oil lines, cooling lines, fittings and modifications to the sump $200++

DME upgrade or flash/dyno $750++ (Although Ive heard some tuning places wont do such on turbo BMWs due to the risk?)

Driveshaft hoops ~$100

Certification $450-500

So already off the top of my head it seems you'd need at least $3000 to even get close to have the basics done to get a working setup.

I've seen most early TT 1JZs selling for $2000, kept auto which suits the engine characteristics & saves a bunch there. Provided one could do most of the work on their own and had an engineering friend to do any welding...

Auto shift kit $400

Custom driveshaft $500

Custom mounts front / rear $500

Brakes $400 (330i fronts?)

Custom exhaust from stock dump pipe to factory exhaust $200

Wiring costs $100

Certification $500

Driveshaft hoops $100

Fuel pump relay $50, RPM tach signal $0, factory igniter feed should work with 6 cyl dash.

Then theres the basics to worry about like intercoolers and piping, not overly expensive if you used quality used parts.

$4750+ Not anything like a 10k setup if you do it economically.

Im pretty up on whats needed its what my business is all about and i do this stuff 24/7

Theres also many other ways of doing things for guys on a low budget if those in the know are willing to tell ;)

• Like 1

Steve - without asking for all your secrets, is there an obvious budget way to deal with retarding timing / increasing fuel (rising rate FPR?) under modest levels of boost?

To the original poster - you should find a turbo (and wastegate if you are going external, which on an M50 I imagine you are), a manifold flange and take the car to a fabricator who can make you something (probably fairly basic) for your budget. They could make you a downpipe at the same time.

Or you could try work out if Otis' (rapidspoolindustries.com) manifolds fit RHD, but they aren't cheap (usd500).

Then you just need oil lines (in and out of turbo), intercooler, blowoff valve, sensors, ECU, clutch, blah blah. Not really what you are asking at the moment. You just want a manifold!

Edited by CamB

Still easier to turbo the original engine than swap in a poxy 1j with auto trans

• Like 3