Sign in to follow this  
330itis

SMG to manual coding

Im sure its been covered but I never have luck with the search engine on here.

Im converting a 2002 e46 m3 to manual. Who can recode it for me so that I have no smg display and warnings etc and I have cruise control? Hybrid? Also Im not sure there may be a small amount of wiring.

Ray and his team at HellBM (forum sponsor's) are particularly experienced in swapping SMG to manuals I believe, give him a call.

^ Absolutely the wrong tool to use for a properly converted vehicle I am afraid. I would not use that to do the conversion - loads of people in the USA I've helped out when they did this and used the above tool and couldn't get it to work properly (had to leave SMG module plugged in ect - or it would not idle correct or lost power ect ect .. the list goes on)

You do this with factory tools if you want a perfect conversion (i.e. the car thinks and believe it is a 6 speed manual from the factory).

There are parts of the tune in the SMG equiped DME Software that is very different to the standard 6 speed manual (many don't realise this and do the simple change with tools like the above).

Basically remove SMG option code with NCS Expert from the LCM and IKE .. recode the DME with a non SMG software version from the same hardware/firmware type (or update it if you like) - have the correct wiring so that things like clutch switch is recognised.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

^ Absolutely the wrong tool to use for a properly converted vehicle I am afraid. I would not use that to do the conversion - loads of people in the USA I've helped out when they did this and used the above tool and couldn't get it to work properly (had to leave SMG module plugged in ect - or it would not idle correct or lost power ect ect .. the list goes on)

You do this with factory tools if you want a perfect conversion (i.e. the car thinks and believe it is a 6 speed manual from the factory).

There are parts of the tune in the SMG equiped DME Software that is very different to the standard 6 speed manual (many don't realise this and do the simple change with tools like the above).

Basically remove SMG option code with NCS Expert from the LCM and IKE .. recode the DME with a non SMG software version from the same hardware/firmware type (or update it if you like) - have the correct wiring so that things like clutch switch is recognised.

I agree that using the above tool does an Immobiliser delete instead of wiring in a clutch switch. If you can live with no immobiliser it does the SMG - Manual software swap job just fine.

I agree that using the above tool does an Immobiliser delete instead of wiring in a clutch switch. If you can live with no immobiliser it does the SMG - Manual software swap job just fine.

Changing the DME to non smg has nothing to do with ews delete.

I wasn't talking about ews delete. You can change dme recognition from 6 speed to smg and vice versa on all software versions but it doesn't work properly unless it is a CSL tune. I can't be bothered going into the technical details as to why this is but I have tested this with Ray on numerous software versions and many different owners in the USA.. Ray can comment if he likes but we have tested this at least on 3 different occassions.

Do it properly and just reflash the DME with the correct 6 speed software. There are quite a few maps that are different between smg and non smg.

Edited by M3_Power

As Tom said. Any problems send it to us.