Sign in to follow this  
Valvebounce

M20, oil in the coolant.......

Some time ago I started a thread about my E34 I'd bought as a non runner.

With the help of the GC's on here, I got the old girl running.

Next calamity that came to light was oil appearing in the header tank on the radiator. I carried out the mother of all flushes, (motor, engine, and rad, 6 ways to sunday) but droplets of oil still floated out of the filler neck.

this was months ago.

Fast forward to now.

After a bit of a debacle with postage, (only half the bits showing up) I got a head gasket set, and a new set of head bolts off Ebay.

I got a price from a cylinder head guy for a pressure test. And after work today I removed the head from the engine. The head gasket did not show any evidence of leakage. With a bit of luck, I'll get the head dropped off to the shop tomorrow arvo.

I guess my question is, besides a cracked or warped head, or gasket failure is there any other point on these engines where there could be a breach between the lubrication and cooling systems?

The engine looks mint inside. It wouldn't suprise me one jot is i's been overhauled recently.

Any other sicko's had similar misery from one of these engines?

Is it auto? - Trans fluid into water

Engine - have not heard of any scenarios to cause oil into water

Edit - meant to say - not aware of engine scenarios other than what you suggested

Edited by hotwire

Factory manual.

When I spoke to the head guy, he said he had seen the crack through the cam saddles. Which is where the oil feed to the top end comes in through.

There's the odd hint of moisture in the oil too. BUt nothing like the crankcase full of mayonaise like a BHG can yeild

Over the years I've had many M20's crack through the camshaft journals and a few with cracked blocks in severe overheat situations

TBH, My gut feeling is that it's going to be a cracked head.

The guy who did the motor swap before I got it said the guy who sold him the dnor car had spent some $$$ on the motor. I'd say it was mixing fluids, and whoever did the work never had the head tested. Everything is impossibly clean.

I'm glad to have a spare head in reserve. Some genius on the tard was asking $400 for an M20 head last time I looked.

Got the head back today.

Cracked to the days.

The cylinder head guy seemed a bit dumbstruck that someone would have spent the $$$$ having it done up, but not bother to have it pressure tested first.

Got the head back today.

Cracked to the days.

The cylinder head guy seemed a bit dumbstruck that someone would have spent the $$$$ having it done up, but not bother to have it pressure tested first.

You'd be surprised how many genuises are out there.

You'd be surprised how many genuises are out there.

join facebook. you will no longer be surprised by such adventures

• Like 2

^^^^^^ Prolly why I cant be bothered with it!

• Like 1

^^^^^^ Prolly why I cant be bothered with it!

^^^^ This!!!

The Facefart page held fleeting potential, but seems to be populated in the main by folk that think RX7 springs are a perfectly acceptable alternative spring to say, fit for purpose parts.

I forget who the page admins are, but y'all got more patience than me!!!!

^^^^ This!!!

The Facefart page held fleeting potential, but seems to be populated in the main by folk that think RX7 springs are a perfectly acceptable alternative spring to say, fit for purpose parts.

I forget who the page admins are, but y'all got more patience than me!!!!

i am one of them lol

As is amber (missbm) and a few others that arent members here.

Not sure what your post above is in reference to, i have never seen that on there lol.

The Euro Car Club page can be a bit eye opening, but much like bimmersport, if you are new, you dont know the cliques and the inside jokes people are having with each other, it does look pretty funny,and not surprising if you turn yourself away.

The BMW page on the other hand is actually pretty well controlled really, as we direct most of the off topic banter to the other page etc. of course some stuff slips through the cracks, and your always going to get some tool asking help my car stopped working any ideas.

I think any member of here and the facebook page would still ask any serious questions here though lol.

But bimmersport doesnt have a patch on the social side the facebook pages have, so really depends on how you want to spend your evening.

The lame as thing about FB is, it has depleted many of the forums of traffic. Forums used to be such good times, but nowdays many have petered out.

Back on topic,

I went round to the mates house from whom I bought the car. And removed the head from the original motor from the car. It had been out in the weather for two and half years. I stripped it back to bare.

dropped it off monday just been. The bloke said he was very busy this week. I swung by yesterday, and nothing had been done. From his reaction, I wasn't hopeful that it would be done this week. But I visit this arvo, and he had tested it.

Much to my relief it passed test.

So after work I started lapping the valves. Pretty hard on the hands. But if looks like this tale (of misery) is going to have a happy ended.