Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

Hello Everyone, new member intro and some questions on SMG

Hope everyone is having a great day. I am looking to forward to being part of the 'bimmersport' community. Currently, don't have any wheels, but will be moving back to NZ and looking to getting another Bavarian beast. Last car was an E30 325i in NZ and that was almost 7 years ago, been away since.

My other hobbies include flying, surfing and riding motorbikes.

I would love to stretch the budget and pull the trigger on an E46 M3 but unfortunately due to daily driver and financial requirements I am looking at at an E46 330ci.

My search has led me to look at one particular 330ci, theres one on trademe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-894291297.htm that has caught my attention. I have read that the SMG gearbox can be quite troublesome and expensive to fix. Also, 15k for this car seems a bit steep. Could someone please shed some light more on the car or the topic of 330ci with SMG (quite rare specimen or what I have read so far).

Your Input is appreciated.

P.S. I am based in Indonesia at the moment, if you need tips about discovering Indonesia/Bali especially some interesting surf spots or night life, will be glad to pass them on.

"START AND DRIVE VERY SMOOTHIES"

It makes SMOOTHIES? Buy it! Haha.

Yea price is rather high, if that's your budget maybe rather look at E90s.

Otherwise I'm sure you can find much cheaper ones, not sure SMG is worth the premium...

• Like 1

not rather high. its ridiculously high. its not a msport either.

you can get a nice msport 330ci with normal automatic/tiptronic for like $8-10k, a bit higher kms but if you find a well maintained one, you will have heaps of spare cash than buying this.

if you like smg, then you could consider upping the price to 22-28k and get an m3 instead.

330ci prices have dropped quite a bit, some even go for as low as 5k. i wouldnt even bother to look at this one with a 15k pricetag..

Pretty sure the 330i SMG system is a lot duller than the M3 system, besides its 100hp down too.

Stick with the regular 5 speed auto and manual E46s and you'll be better off in more ways than one!

That car is about 7.5k too much IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Will keep looking. Yes, the E90 M-sport 4 doors look tempting as well.