Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

WTB m52b28

Hi there,

I want to install a m52 or m54 into my e30. So i need everything associated with that apart from mounts (+/-) A/C stuff. m20 325i sump too.

If anyone has a m5X manual transmission package I'd be interested too. Cheers.

Edited by RipJaws

Ok I need that then, basically I need someone to sell me all the stuff I need for it and I'll figure the rest out. I'd be keen on a M54B25 or B30 for the right price as well anything in that area considered.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=116803&page=30

Heaps of useful stuff stashed away in this guys build thread, including the bit on the very last page about the E38 oil pickup pipe being a perfect fit.

Not sure there's much power difference between the M52B28 and the M54B25, newer DME is considerably more complex than the older Siemens units.

M52 is easier in respect of being able to use the stock management with minimal faffing about, M54 is a bit trickier given the traction control & EWS integration. Not sure if it's possible to delete the unwanted bits off the MS43, though with the right people and enough money everything is possible. All the proven swaps I've seen either delete vanos and use a remapped DME or go for aftermarket management. Just something to consider if you have budget constraints :)

Otherwise, have at it! :)

• Like 1

Good luck finding an e34 sump for reasonable money. Wreckers on here will want your first born as a deposit... however, if you can find an old e34 with a m50b20 motor, that sump will fit as the 2.0/2.5 blocks are the same basic casting. Likely to be able to buy a 520 for peanuts as nobody wants them (but they are also not very plentiful like the 525's, so happy hunting..)

You can use an e38 m52b28 motor, has the correct sump on but you will need e36 engine mounting arms, the e38 arms will not work. This is the route I would take as there are plenty of m52b28 e38's to be had for cheap. When I did my first m52b28 conversion back at least 10 yrs ago now, I used an e36 coupe as a donor, and e34 sumps were plentiful as the old e34's were dying and getting wrecked aplenty. However, most have now gone to china to make toasters so slim pickings to be had..

Using the m54 motor will involve major work to get the integrated electronics working, not worth the effort. If you want to speak to someone who went down this path, get hold of Westy. Easier/better to find a 3L crank and make a stroker m52 if c.c. floats your boat.

Best... M60/M62->e30 is for real men.. :P

• Like 1

This basically covers off everything you need.

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Swap_-_M5x

I used to have an e30 I was interested in doing this to and just remembered it needed a different sump so thanks for correcting me.

Thanks for the info Ahmed, I will keep that in mind mate. Cheers

Wow Will, a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for passing it on. I think between you and Ahmed you have made up my mind for me. It seems much easier just to go for a m52b28 and be done with it. Much cheaper too it seems. The easy part seems doing the job the hard part finding the stuff and getting the right motor for what you want at a good price.

Don't get me wrong, I honestly think the M54B30 would be the best swap for an E30 aside from an S50/54. But when you have to factor in an aftermarket DME the cost hops up significantly. Another option would to be to run a B30 on an M52 DME using only the intake Vanos and remapped for spark and fuel. Gavin @ HiVelocity is the local guru, I'm sure he could do something for you, but again, it depends on how much you want to spend. Just don't forget the suspension & brake upgrades and the $700 +/- for the cert when you draw up the budget. Good luck

Can help with most of the bits you need. Have E46 M52B28 engine complete with ecu loom key and ignition if required, can be heard running at the moment, NZ new. Also have the sump etc.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I want to install a m52 or m54 into my e30. So i need everything associated with that apart from mounts (+/-) A/C stuff. m20 325i sump too.

If anyone has a m5X manual transmission package I'd be interested too. Cheers.

Hi, I have a complete e46 wagon I'm wrecking with a great running m54b25 motor and everything else.

Engine can be heard running, and car can be driven except it has no licence plates so you wouldn't want to drive very far at all.

It is auto transmission and 160K and runs great.

Message me if keen.

Have M52TUB28 from a manual E39 with loom/dme/ews/transponder.

Or can do all other motor combo`s and E34 sumps.

i.e M54B30 E46 or e39

M54B25

M52TUB25

M50 strokers - 2.8 or 3.0

M62B44

Edited by HELLBM

The choices of engines have been making my head spin the last couple of days. I think as long as im doing something like changing the motor, may as well make it as worth while as i can and im not keen on a v8 so whoever can give me the best deal on an M54B30 ill have that.

Does anyone know if m54 still needs the same sump and the getrag trans from a m42 will still fit?

Cheers.

Edited by RipJaws

Yes same applies, all the m5x engines have basically the same blocks, so the mounts, sump and gearbox options are the same as m50/m52.

M54 gets harder with a more complicated ECU, wiring and things like electronic throttle. There are many ways around it (OBD1 swap). Good luck

Yes same applies, all the m5x engines have basically the same blocks, so the mounts, sump and gearbox options are the same as m50/m52.

M54 gets harder with a more complicated ECU, wiring and things like electronic throttle. There are many ways around it (OBD1 swap). Good luck

Thanks heaps for passing on the knowledge. I've looked into flashing the ecu so we'll see how that goes. As long as i get all the mechanical fundamentals done in a timely manner at a good cost i don't mind battling with the electronics for a while. The extra torque and hp made it seem like a more worth while transplant.