Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

M62TU (540i) Timing Chain and Vanos preventive Maintenance in Auckland

Almost reached 150000km now and despite the fact that the car runs very well I would like to do some preventive maintainance in the timing chain tensioner and Vanos system.

Any ideas on costs and recommended places in Auckland?

Cheers Dimitrios

I did mine at about 280000 km when the oil seperator failed, i took the motor out and delivered it to the workshop, timing chain, guides, tensioner, gaskets, etc plus they checked the bearings etc while they were in there.

All up i spent just over $7000 but i havent had to touch the motor apart from services, for over 20000km now and it runs beautifully.

Bavarian motors on the shore did the work.

• Like 1

Wow that's a lot of $$/

Its a lot of motor! :)

• Like 1

Why not pick up the phone & talk to Glenn since he is always helpful & willing with advice on here...

• Like 1

B.M.W Ltd (Botany Motor Worx) Ph: (09) 2722546

Glen Osbourne cnr Ormiston Rd and Te Irirangi Dr, behind the BP.

• Like 1

Even those willing to do the job are quoting $4,000 - $5,000 + why would you spend over half the value of a car and then a couple of weeks or months after the transmission shits it,s self. Buy some parts, Google, buy some tools and give it a go. You can always buy another car if you f**k it up

• Like 4

Guest cortez

yeah I agree with glen . just keep driving it til it flys apart then worry about it....these cars can make your eyes bleed !

• Like 1

[

just keep driving it til it flys apart then worry about it....these cars can make your eyes bleed !

As obtuse as this advice is, a used m62tu would more than likely be less than the repair bill for the job in car.

• Like 1

Each to their own, but i would rather spend a bit of money and know my car will do what i need it to do, plus i like the idea of saving something from the scrap metal heap. Financially speaking it may not be the best option, but like Glen said you could save a bit if you d.i.y it.

Strange... not sure who's being serious here because Glen is the one that often says 'a little but of knowledge and some tools can be a disaster' but that's what he recommending above?

Either way Dimitrious here's what's involved: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/m62tu_vanos_procedure.htm - and you can do it yourself with some patience and tools (which may be difficult/expensive to get in NZ).

Certainly if you pay somebody to do it ($$$) make sure they provide a written warranty on workmanship that covers all of your costs to get back on the road (which could mean a new engine) if something does go wrong.

• Like 2

Strange... not sure who's being serious here because Glen is the one that often says 'a little but of knowledge and some tools can be a disaster' but that's what he recommending above?

I was being serious. And a little can be dangerous, however if researched by someone with a mechanical aptitude the result can be achieved with the right tools, the right parts and patience. The cost of paying someone to do this can be horrendous and can be more than what some of these vehicles are worth when you add up all the other problems the car might have . I proved this today doing a PPI after the fact a member purchased a vehicle and I'm doing another PPI tomorrow which I'm hoping will be much better for the punter.

• Like 1