Sign in to follow this  
318is

Pre chrissi check

Well the break is upon us very soon, and if you are doing a long haul for a holiday, or even just want peace of mind motoring, these super easy checks will be a little more reassuring than just jumping in your car and motoring off:

1. Check all fluid levels under the bonnet. Engine, tranny if you have a dipstick, washer fluid, radiator level and expansion tank level ( make sure it's green in RAD as well ) Brake fluid level. Have a quick look at your water hoses with a torch - rad hoses, heater hoses and corrisponding clamps. Then put the torch in with your tool kit in the boot.

2. Battery - locate and check clamps for corrosion and water level.

3. Tyres - pump up to correct pressure, and don't forget the spare tyre. Have a look for any nails in the tyre, cracks etc. Make sure your jack is in the boot and the correct wheel stud tools ( and and ubber wheel stud locking device remover that you may have on your mags ), and a basic tool kit. Some rags is always a good idea.

4. Check your lights. Brakes, indicators, fogs, head's etc. Horn going?

5. Put a 2 L coke bottle or two into your boot filled with water. You may not need it, but who knows who you might come across on your travels who hasn't got extra water on them. Hopefully a damsil in distress if any!

6. Some extra petrol ( in a correct container ) if your going into the wops-wops. Just a small container will get you -- or again someone else -- out of trouble.

7. If you can be bothered, check brake pads, all EP90 levels ( manual box and diff ) for levels.

8. Polish the sh*t out of your paint for that sexy slick good look.

9. Good time to fit new wiper blades.

10. Wear your damn seat belts, front and back :)

11. Check fuel lines

12. Check water pump, AC and other belts

Have a good and safe chrissi guys/gals.

PS: add to the list if your have other easy tips!

Edit -- oh yeah, WOF and REGO are current and will stay current during the break. Maybe check your insurance is upto scratch as well.

Edited by 318is

Done all them this week - 5 hours on Sunday for number 8. :mosh:

Dont drive unless you really have to, such a high rate of accidents happen between the two weeks before and the two weeks after xmas.

Guest Andrew

thoughts on tyre pressures for a hilux surf? I have no idea with these big assed tyres and there are no factory markings in the door

thoughts on tyre pressures for a hilux surf? I have no idea with these big assed tyres and there are no factory markings in the door

Have a look on the tyre wall itself. Usually they have a 'recommended' PSI rating on the walls.

my 2005 hilux has 205R16 Dunlop tyres and recommended pressures of 170kPa front and rear unladen(2 passengers and <100kgs luggage)

and 170 front/230 rear for laden.

I actually run 150 kPa all round as I am often off-road in the really boggy bits on the Hauraki plains and the higher pressures are inclined to introduce wheelspin earlier. I havn't noticed any adverse handling effects from the softer pressures but don't generally wind the hell into it on road.

Have a quick look at your water hoses with a torch - rad hoses, heater hoses and corrisponding clamps.

I would strongly recommend having more than just a look at them. Give them a squeeze or a twist and look for cracking and feel for hardness. Both fine cracks and hardened rubber will not normally be obvious to a visual inspection. replace any hoses that show signs of hardness/cracking.

DON'T FORGET TO CAREFULLY INSPECT YOUR FUEL HOSES FOR CRACKING/BRITTLENESS AND CHECK THE CLAMPS ARE TIGHT..!!!!! We don't want to hear of your pride and joy burned out when we get back from the break !!! :angry:

Good point-out topless. I was assuming people would infact give them a squeeze/poke/prod whilst checking them over. Murphys Law - never assume :D

Fuel lines - make that 11.

:)

That's a great list - due to a fair amount of long haul driving I get a wheel alignment just before Christmas just to make sure I'm pointing in a straight line - also had my tyres rotated for free - cheers Firestone Airport!!

Right. Lucky me. Just been and done the list, as above.

Whilst there noticed the fan belt was hanging on by for dear life. There was not a inch gap where the 'ridges' hadn't cracked to the base. PHEW! Also same for the AC belt. Not as bad, but could of gone anytime. Defently would of broken I reackon driving about 650 odd K this chrissi.

Anyhow, 25 mins later, $34.90 parts, all new again.

:D

So no. 12 - Water pump/alt/air con p/s belts :)

13)Driver,dont drive if you are ill, tired, or UIDorD

14)Dont forget to take a basic car cleaning kit,.....

15)FIRE EXTINGUISHER

16)Jumper leads

17)Tow rope(do you know how/where your tow hooks/covers come off)

Edited by kiwi535