Sign in to follow this  
fred_

Thoughts on an E39 M5 as a daily driver?

Afternoon Bimmersport,

I've recently sold my E92 M3 which currently leaves me with a trusty old Volvo V70 (workhorse for transporting things) and E46 M3 (Plan to become more track focussed).

I've had a long and hard think about another purchase to complement the E46. I initially thought about getting a Mk6 Golf GTI due to its practicality and easy power, however after test driving one, it didn't leave a smirk on my face like the E46 does every time I hop in.

Some of you might ask why I don't just daily the E46? Well, since the mod bug has got the better of me, I have inevitably made it more impractical with low suspension, a firmer ride, and significantly louder exhaust. While this is still acceptable on the daily, I continuously come back to the idea of purchasing a sedan with softer suspension and something which can take a few mates in the back if I choose to go away for the weekend.

From what I can see, the E39 M5's have bottomed out price-wise (much like the E46), so depreciation isn't going to be a major concern. I'm also not too concerned about the horrendous consumption as I only do around 10,000kms a year and work pays for any mileage incurred during the week.

I realise the Vanos issue needs a lot of TLC and I'm currently in the process of reading numerous buyers guides.

I'd love to get your thoughts on this idea and please share contact details with anyone who has an E39 they are considering selling.

Cheers in advance.

I've owned E39 M5's for the past 9 years.

No issues as a daily as long as you don't mind driving a manual in your daily commute. Finding one in reasonable condition that doesn't need lots of work will be your hardest task.

Well maintained ones are great everyday cars.

Cheers for your input!

I certainly think that will be the biggest issue. DaveO's was a beautiful example for sale last year.

Do you know what his went for in the end? I know he was asking 30k.

Not in a rush to get a new car just yet, but certainly in the market.

Cheers for your input!

I certainly think that will be the biggest issue. DaveO's was a beautiful example for sale last year.

Do you know what his went for in the end? I know he was asking 30k.

Not in a rush to get a new car just yet, but certainly in the market.

DaveO's old one was recently sold again, I think it went for 26k.

Since you've already owned an M car I'm sure you're familiar with the M tax and servicing costs.

The vanos hydraulic units seldom fail. It's usually the solenoid o-rings, or solder join failure which causes grief - It's not expensive or labor intensive to put right.

manual transmissions can be a pain in traffic, but aside from that they're an epic all rounder.

• Like 1

26k isn't bad at all. Do you know any other good examples which have sold recently as a benchmark?

Pretty open on colour combinations (though not a huge fan of Silverstone Blue). Very keen on getting a face-lift.

Indeed manual can be a pain but I'm pretty used to it in the E46. I'd hope the clutch on the E39 is a little lighter / less springy?

Cheers

I'm also not too concerned about the horrendous consumption ..... work pays for any mileage incurred during the week.

When I read this I immediately thought get the V10 M5 LOL!!!!! Honestly, I have finally come around on this car now ... it is basically a F1 engine in a road car. And they are a bargain at around about $35K for one with under 100k km (compared to what you'd pay for an E39 M5 or even an E46 M3!!!) .... I have even been tempted to get one myself now that they are so cheap to buy!!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Get another E46 M3 lol

Haha that doesn't exactly accomplish anything aside from having two bad ass coupe's!

When I read this I immediately thought get the V10 M5 LOL!!!!! Honestly, I have finally come around on this car now ... it is basically a F1 engine in a road car. And they are a bargain at around about $35K for one with under 100k km (compared to what you'd pay for an E39 M5 or even an E46 M3!!!) .... I have even been tempted to get one myself now that they are so cheap to buy!!

I have to agree that the E60 is certainly better bang for your buck, though I've never been a fan of the styling and those SMG gearboxes are horrendous! Mind you, a V10 for 30k is pretty hard to argue with.

• Like 1

as a benchmark.

I sold my last M5 last year for $35k and there was plenty of interest in it. It was just on 100k and MINT. Full BMW history. NZ new.

Factory clutch is very light. Too light in most cases and they tend to start to slip with the engine torque fairly easily.

Its def a epic alrounder. I would have kept mine if it fit down my stupid driveway.

Still regret selling it...

I have to agree that the E60 is certainly better bang for your buck, though I've never been a fan of the styling and those SMG gearboxes are horrendous! Mind you, a V10 for 30k is pretty hard to argue with.

I wasn't a fan of the E60 styling either. But now I love it. And since owning one I realised how dated the E39 looks. The E60 fits in nicely 10 years later.

how much is ryans white m5?

http://bimmersport.co.nz/user/51618-wyt-m5/

Think he's still looking for 32kish

it's on about 160k km I think, well maintained. One lady owner, only driven on sundays.

e.g driven like it's stolen..the way it should be

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 2

I used to daily my E39 M5 and it's a brilliant cruiser. It eats up motorway miles. Interesting that others find the clutch light, mine has always been quite heavy so traffic can be annoying. I was told that it is quite normal... perhaps it's not factory - there's no mention of change in the service records though.

It really has two personalities and for my daily driving, I was really only bumbling around most of the time. Somewhat wasteful as it likes being pushed - prod it and really is a different animal completely. It just wakes up and feels so much better for it - suspension feels properly weighted, steering feels better etc.

I've struggled to find a replacement for it. It's retired to a weekend car due to the mileage I now do. Taking it out from time to time makes it all that more enjoyable. I love the look of the e60's but didn't want the daily thirst of the v10 and whilst I love the e92 M3 look, I wasn't 100% drawn in by the drive for the price - it felt a little lazy compared to the S62's mountain of torque which feels more useable.

I got the chance a few months ago to try an e92 335i coupe and instantly fell for it. It does everything I need a daily to do whilst still being seriously quick and economical. It's a blast to drive, looks brilliant and it sounds great too.

yes its the tourque of the s62 that makes em such a nice car to drive,but still with reva bility.I dottn think they would be to much thirstier than any biggerengined mid size car.The v10 is completely mental in more ways than one,horrendous consumption and a small tank

^ More the reason to get the V10 when you don't have to pay for the petrol like Alex is saying!!!! Heck I can't think of a better reason to do it to be honest LOL!! What better way to enjoy that daily commute to work and back!!

Alternatively Alex, you could do another E46 M3 but destroke it to 3.0 and rev it to 9000rpm : )

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1