Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

S50b32 Oil pump threaded, where do I take it?

So I was torquing up the nut on my S50b32 oil pump that holds the cog in place and just before I was done, the nut has threaded itself in place.

I have backed off the nut but it seems to be stuck in place. I am guessing I just need a machine shop or similar to remove the nut, clean the thread and install a wider left hand thread nut to make use of the remaining good thread. Then for peace of mind do two tack welds to the cog so the bastard wont work itself loose.

Where can I take it to get fixed?

James there are a couple of places selling upgraded oil pump shafts. They have a cam lobe on the shaft and use a bolt that screws into the shaft rather than a nut on the end of the shaft. You have to press the sprocket off the old shaft. Some sell you a new sprocket too but you have to press it on. Achilles Motorsport have them for about $165 US plus freight. It's not bad insurance as when the oil pumps break there is usually a big mess.

Why not just weld up the nut that is already on there?

Why not just weld up the nut that is already on there?

That's what I'd do.

A friend at a machine shop is going to sort it out for me. Will probably end up cleaning the thread, putting a new nut on and then spot welding it in place.