Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

Motul "Flushing OIL" before oil change. Any experience?

Thinking of doing an engine flush before the oil change next week.

Motul is a well respected brand.

Any experience? Cheers Dimitrios

I'd be reluctant to flush a more complex engine with vanos components that have very small oil relief holes and gallery ways etc. They may get clogged up.

But that's the idea behind it. To clean up the residues. I know it could be tricky though. I will ask BMW their opinion.

Anyone else got a view on this, as I'm curious too......

IMO just use a good quality synthetic oil with a decent, short change interval.

There's obviously pros and cons.

Pros - you remove deposits that may otherwise get left behind. You could clean out the smaller oilways.

Cons - sometimes the deposits that have been left are actually (especially on an older engine) sealing something so it doesn't leak! Also, the act of flushing coud push residue or particulates into the smaller oilways, causing a problem you were hoping to fix.
Also, some flushing oils will 'clean' components, removing any 'good' and lubricating residue from them. It's important to retain this as the first engine start after an oil change will often see reduced quantities of oil present in the top of the engine.

If a good oil has be used and changed regularly, flushing shouldn't be necessary.

If a good oil has be used and changed regularly, flushing shouldn't be necessary.

^^^ This!

Have run various different grades in multiple engines, FI and NA over the years. Suffice to say quality shows. After pulling the M50 out of my car and taking the top covers and sump off, and observing the sludgy crap in the sump as opposed to the grey surfaces of the head, running full synthetic with 5000km oil & filter changes proves its worth.

If you must run a cleaner through have the work done by a shop that offers a warranty on their labour. Chances are you'll end a wave of particulates through the Vanos screens, the fine oil squirters that jet onto the timing chain and cylinder bores etc etc etc and all hell will break loose.

• Like 2