Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Estimate of Price S50B30/2 + Gearbox, ECU Etc.

Just putting feelers out there for an S50B30/2 Complete, Suitable Gearbox, ECU and whatever else I'm probably going to need to drop it into an E30 chassis.

Before I go down forced induction or M50 Stroker route, I'd like to know what the parts price is to give me a reference point of the relative expenditure.

From what I can see Turbo an M20 is around 3k mark done properlyish, Supercharge Properly 6K+ or Circa 3K to slap an SC14 on, M50 money seems around the same as Turboing, perhaps a little less once I sell all the M20 bits.

Budget around 10k for a rough complete engine and driveline, more for lower mileage and SH. Another few hundred for E34 oil pan and pickup (assuming they will work with an S50 - read Hybrids build thread http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/24294-operation-weapons-grade/) and then a few more thousand for the needed suspension upgrades, brakes and all the other junk you'll need to make it a weapon instead of a timebomb.

If budget is a constraint, go M52 turbo. Light, cheap, readily available parts, ridiculously well documented swap etc etc etc.

Why not stroke your current M20 out to 2.7l then biff a turbo at it? Not the most powerful but still pretty well covered by the internets and from what I've heard makes for happy days on the street & the dyno. Probably the most cost effective option too, assuming your engine doesn't require an overhaul first

Budget around 10k for a rough complete engine and driveline, more for lower mileage and SH. Another few hundred for E34 oil pan and pickup (assuming they will work with an S50 - read Hybrids build thread http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/24294-operation-weapons-grade/) and then a few more thousand for the needed suspension upgrades, brakes and all the other junk you'll need to make it a weapon instead of a timebomb.

Oh ouch... I had sort of considered brakes etc... but only conceptually not financially.

If budget is a constraint, go M52 turbo. Light, cheap, readily available parts, ridiculously well documented swap etc etc etc.

Sane advise.

Why not stroke your current M20 out to 2.7l then biff a turbo at it? Not the most powerful but still pretty well covered by the internets and from what I've heard makes for happy days on the street & the dyno. Probably the most cost effective option too, assuming your engine doesn't require an overhaul first

Allegedly the engine in my car has had a recent rebuild, current evidence suggests this was limited in budget though, it missed a few things i'd definitely have done anyway, valve stem seals leaking among other oddities, but I digress.

M20 does seem to be quite a solid block, not as capable as the 24v versions.

Knowing I'm looking conservatively at 15k or so to dump an S50 in the engine bay, properly, helps realign my thinking.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=116803

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320713

Also look here for inspiration.

M60 is a nice swap, be prepared to get your hands well dirty though

M52B28 is the best bang for buck you can do. +T would be better left for the 2.0 version, especially as this is your first E30

1UZ is doable too, lots of work though

M30B35+T would be sweet, heavy and probably similar output to an M52T swap

LS1 + T56 would be the bees knees, but again work + big monies

Will mostly come down to your actual budget vs dreams and find the happy medium from there. Even if your engine isn't perfect at least you have a known quantity vs another used engine bought on good faith.

Good luck!

Might be tough to get a turbo on anything for only $3k unless you can make everything that's make-able. Turbo, manifold, exhaust, ECU, wideband, other sensors, injectors, intercooler, piping, blowoff valve, clutch, etc. it adds up.

I reckon M52B28 is the best for a budget and it's real straight forward. Lightweight, plenty of power and .they are quite easy to get power out of with M54 3L internals and intake / cams / headers.