Sign in to follow this  
oriphinz

335i E90 Oil leak due to dodgey service

Wow.

OP just take it back to who ever serviced it and point out the problems. Much more productive then every one having a cry wank over poor service/mental instability.

• Like 2

Yikes! Andrew sorry to have offended you.

So to update Andrew was correct, there is a o-ring there, it has flattened and turned into basically plastic, i will be honest this is my first euro, in the past i have only worked on Nissans and Toyota with traditional filters. I think calling me mentally challenged is bullshit. I have been a member of a bunch of car clubs and have never had this kind of reaction when trying to put up a notice to help other members avoid similar situations. If you read my other post you will notice that i would not name them until talking to them first. :wacko: I have met a lot of mechanics through various car scenes and whist you seem to be passionate about what you do i have met a lot who do their fair share of lazy / dodgy work (ie zip ties on drive shaft kind of crap) they give a bad name to the profession that i am sure you know all to well.

I was wrong the workshop may have done the job properly, still not sure as there is still no top o-ring.

When i took the housing out i did syringe up the oil from the housing and there was no remains of the 2nd o-ring, either it broke apart or was not installed, i cannot say either way. Andrew, have yo ever seen the bottom o-ring disappear?

Anyway, dumped the oil last night, replaced the filter and o-rings again, fresh plugs, cleaned off all the oil that was in the belly pan and on the side of the block. Also installed a BMS OCC at the same time, really great piece of kit! New pads and rear disks will go on tonight. Also might try to tackle the new intercooler i have sitting around waiting to go on :)

• Like 3

Also i picked up a oil filter cup kit, lets you torque the housing cap to the right nm, it comes with a cup for every filter size so if anyone needs to borrow one send me a PM

SBUhXOl.jpg

oriphinz - please don't be put off the forum by one posters overreaction.

I've been on other forums, and this one is really good.

By and large its a great group of guys and gals who are happy to help.

Come along to the meet and greet on November the 1st and hang out and see the cars

• Like 2

oriphinz - please don't be put off the forum by one posters overreaction.

I've been on other forums, and this one is really good.

By and large its a great group of guys and gals who are happy to help.

Come along to the meet and greet on November the 1st and hang out and see the cars

Cheers will do! A meet would be awesome :D

Got the new rear disks and pads in! The old ones were corroded on but a dead weight hammer and wd40 made quick work of them.

The disks on these e90s are huge! The rears are bigger than the "BBK" on my old car!

Hope you replaced the progressive wear sensor and reset CBS

Yep and yep :) It was interesting looking at the old sensor, cool design, i wonder if they have come up a design that doesn't need replacing yet.

I guess if you check the conditions of your pads theres probably no reason to run the sensors.

Did you figure out why the oil filter housing was leaking?

Yeh the top large o-ring on the filter housing had hardened and stopped sealing, it was serviced ~8 months ago, i am not sure of the brand of filter / o-ring that was used, it may have been aftermarket so if you are service i definitely recommend OEM filters and seals :).

I wouldn't rule out the shop screwing up and not changing the o-ring. Most likely is been on there for a long time. The top one wasn't even on.

Others may disagree but imo there's no way an o-ring would go hard and brittle after just 8 months.

Edited by jin108
  • Like 1