Sign in to follow this  
_BRS_

e39 540i clutch and flywheel options

Hey guys,

just after some help/ options on what clutch and flywheel combo to go for in my project. I had decided on going for the JB Racing lightened flywheel as it would really liven the engine up and match it with and a performance organic spring hub clutch,

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1339-e39-540i-97-03-jb-racing-lightweight-aluminum-flywheel.aspx

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/performance-organic-clutch-kit-for-96-03-e39-m5-and-540i-540i-696-production-and-later-p390.aspx

but with the dollar the way it is currently and shipping being outrageous, (approx 3k NZD landed) i was wondering if any other recommendations would be suitable.

thanks in advance.

Edited by _BRS_

Theres an M6x Luk flywheel & cultch kit on tardme for $1600. Not as satisfying as a lighter aftermarket setup but much less painful on the wallet

Theres an M6x Luk flywheel & cultch kit on tardme for $1600. Not as satisfying as a lighter aftermarket setup but much less painful on the wallet

Yeah i saw that, could be an option, wonder what the performance difference would be like between that and something lighter.

Im inclined to say a V8 E30 is gunna go well anyway, will loosing a few kg off the flywheel really matter? Seems to be a mod people do because the internet says it should be done, bang for buck its way down the list.

the $1500 change would be much better spent on 4 top shelf tyres which you will need for traction in the back and handling of the heavier engine in the front...

At the sort of prices we're talking about you'd likely have one made for less.

I have a really early e39 dualmass flywheel. 265mm e34 type clutch size with timing ring and for the moment definitely don't feel the need for a lightweight.

Yeah i saw that, could be an option, wonder what the performance difference would be like between that and something lighter.

Personally can't comment on the difference with the V8 but I've fanged around in single and dual mass types in a friends E36. Single mass does rev a little more freely but I thought the clutch grabbed a little harder. DM was a little slower to climb but felt smoother. I'm inclined to agree with Andy on this one - spend the change on some quality rubber to cope with the extra torque at the rears ;)

From what I recall, redline is around 6k rpm with the V8s - most of the torque is available at the bottom end of the rev range so I'm not sure how a single mass flywheel would benefit your project?

I have a JB flywheel in my e34 544iT/6 uses stock bmw m62b44 type clutch ,

I don't like the auto adjusting clutch though.

to weak etc and no feel in the pedal ,

if I had to choose again I would go for one of those kits that just use a chev or ford v8 type clutch etc

have you talked to Darren at nz automotive ?

or auto clutch ? get a custom flywheel made to fit a us type clutch kit

make it with chrome molly or steel etc , as the ali ones can warp easily

and the surface ends up like a potato chip

Do the Chev or Ford clutches actually work yet though???

The bonus with going OEM, is it's going to be as good as OEM - maybe not the ultimate, but very "known"... going with something that's had "variable" results reported could lead to depression down the track :(

• Like 1

Do the Chev or Ford clutches actually work yet though???

The bonus with going OEM, is it's going to be as good as OEM - maybe not the ultimate, but very "known"... going with something that's had "variable" results reported could lead to depression down the track :(

if going std bmw clutch go for the earilier type like used in e34 540i as they use a std type clutch not one of those

stupid auto tensioning type ones

cheers for the good feedback guys, plenty to think and talk about, not in any rush atm so want to get this sorted so its done right the first time.

At this stage it seems a good idea to stay away from what i was originally going to go with.