Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E34 540i 6-sp manual

to be fair, i do tell people dont judge a BMW on the 318i you drive, maybe i am a bit harsh on the 190E when i am doing the same thing the other way round.

oh yeah now you mention the system thats right, my one conked out at the far end of the VTNZ inspection lane, it got its sticker but couldnt get home. Helpful guy in the diesel trucks lane came over he was a Merc guy back home in Ukraine or Russia or something, just happened to have a spare fuel electro whachamadoodle in his car plugged it in got home and ordered one off a croud called Startech who were very helpfull.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 2

to be fair, i do tell people dont judge a BMW on the 318i you drive, maybe i am a bit harsh on the 190E when i am doing the same thing the other way round.

oh yeah now you mention the system thats right, my one conked out at the far end of the VTNZ inspection lane, it got its sticker but couldnt get home. Helpful guy in the diesel trucks lane came over he was a Merc guy back home in Ukraine or Russia or something, just happened to have a spare fuel electro whachamadoodle in his car plugged it in got home and ordered one off a croud called Startech who were very helpfull.

Haha very true, I think what ruins the 190 for most people is they've only ever seen them G'd up with homie chromies and mirror tints. I wish NZ had the Merc following/forums that other countries do, or even compared to places such as here on Bimmersport. IMO, it seems as if there's three Merc groups in NZ: The RFB types, the older type and then people like me, the young to middle aged with the passion but no club/forum to call home lol.

The system is designed to continue working under electrical failure but requires all sorts of stuff to work on and is a real nightmare if they don't know what they're doing. I'd say it's been the death of heaps of 190's deemed "broken euro trash" .

Haha very true, I think what ruins the 190 for most people is they've only ever seen them G'd up with homie chromies and mirror tints. I wish NZ had the Merc following/forums that other countries do, or even compared to places such as here on Bimmersport. IMO, it seems as if there's three Merc groups in NZ: The RFB types, the older type and then people like me, the young to middle aged with the passion but no club/forum to call home lol.

The system is designed to continue working under electrical failure but requires all sorts of stuff to work on and is a real nightmare if they don't know what they're doing. I'd say it's been the death of heaps of 190's deemed "broken euro trash" .

This sounds true. There is a 'formal' MB club, but they're pretty much into concours and fit the pipe and slippers stereotype.

There's various groups on Facebook too, but chrome and airbags are fairly predominant there.

I've been talking with some folk in Oz about the electrickery that goes on under the MB bonnet. There is a way to make it much, much better, without junking the entire system and starting again. BMW briefly flirted with K-Jet but moved on. Porsche, and others (including MB) stayed with K-Jet for much longer.

Another little tip for bmw and mercedes interbreeding.
E36 struts will mount up to w201 knuckles.
An m50 throttle body will mount up to a m111k inlet manifold with very little modification.

And because every merc fan should know black smoke racing. Here's a bmw zf 5 speed in a merc.

And on a side note a r200 diff can be made to fit the w201 by just adding a front mounting point. Resplining is another expense though

There are a couple of guys that are into giving mercs a bit more power in NZ. I only found this out when I started selling off my project

• Like 2

Another little tip for bmw and mercedes interbreeding.

E36 struts will mount up to w201 knuckles.

An m50 throttle body will mount up to a m111k inlet manifold with very little modification.

And because every merc fan should know black smoke racing. Here's a bmw zf 5 speed in a merc.

And on a side note a r200 diff can be made to fit the w201 by just adding a front mounting point. Resplining is another expense though

There are a couple of guys that are into giving mercs a bit more power in NZ. I only found this out when I started selling off my project

That's a cool video, I've always wondered If I could get a BMW box to bolt up to my M104. Spent quite some time forum trawling but most of the forums are US based where they seem to think autos are a gift from the gods.

Do you know what ZF box they used? I can only imagine the sh*t I'd get from my BMW mate if I put one in, but it's better than paying an arm and a leg for a 16v Getrag box.

I've also seen Skyline diffs used in 201/124's also as they just need the rear hat swapped out. E36 struts are used by a few guys on Stanceworks to go super low instead of forking out for adjustables. Can't use true coilovers due to the macpherson strut design but there's a few companies doing kits now that have adjustable plates on the spring and the strut.

hell no. W124 brilliance; I've a friend who ran a 300E for 120k kms; on acquisition he added konis, springs, AMG rims, and caught up on maintenance. A great distance car, solid as a rock, great handling whether 1 or 5-up with gear. I should have scored one myself. They may have a grandpa/pipe and slippers image, though this is a benefit when driving sleepers is one's goal. #8 )

a 500E would be fun.

The 124's are brilliant, my wagon has done 334,000km and still feels solid. Had to replace the throttle body and engine harness due to the great design of eco junk wiring. The only worn out parts are the front seats, which could have been saved if the PO had looked after them. I've just given the interior a treatment of Leatherique, great stuff. I bet his 300E rode sweet with the new konis and springs! The 3.2/3.6 M104's are no slouch and can handle boost with ease, have a look at Turbobandit. You should definitely pick one up if you get the chance.

There's a guy in Germany who turned his wagon into an E500 including full widebody using original 500 body cuts, E500 body kit, 5L M119 and the Recaro interior it looks insane.

• Like 1

Zf won't bolt up from quick measurements from the m111k and zf box I've got here. You'll need to fudge around a bit. Zf box from the 328 e36 or m3 5 speed.

A very small % of people care about the brand attached to a part. If it suites the purpose slap it in there.

• Like 1