Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E36/46 RTAB Tool

I posted this also in the tools for hire section but I am not sure how many read that section. So I need to Rent/Borrow or even buy at a pinch a RTA bush tool. I can feel the rear end move on the bushes especially when getting a bit of oversteer and it's quite disconcerting. From what I can figure just about every older E36/46 will have sloppy RTA bushes so surely someone must have the tool.

John, have you already done the rear sway bar links and sway bar bushes? If not, recommend you start there. Replacing these has radically tightened up my e46 Touring (152,000kms), I've not noticed the RTABs needing attention since having these components replaced.

HTH

Olaf, I replaced the rear bar with an 21mm Eibach Bar that had Poly bushings, Links were ok. Whole car has very little roll it's the feel of the rear sliding that gets me. (And it's not the tyres sliding) Discussed with a few guys on the E46fanatics forum and they said worn RTAB's give this feeling. So I am pretty convinced it worn RTAB's, and this makes sense as it's a common failure point on higher mileage 36/46 cars.

jolly good sir. I guess the extra stiffness is magnifying the impact of the bushing wear. Sorry I don't have the tool to assist, looking forward to meeting someone with a well-sorted e46, especially going to stiffer bars.

EDIT: I'm sure you've looked around; this DIY press looked cheap and easy to source parts for and make http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36rtab/

Edited by Olaf

That makes sense Ron, if I can get them out in one piece it will good to see what state they were in.

Olaf you're most welcome to take it for a spin when it's done and see what you think. I have seen that post and may resort to it if I have to but prefer to use the correct tool for the job.

Yes, the advice you've been provided is sound. Those are symptoms of poor RTAB's.

But I don't have a tool sorry, any good shop press will work or just burn them out. Lots of YouTube videos on procedures without special tools.

I just use some threaded rod, some pipe and big washers to do mine. And some heat helps too. Get free off cuts of pipe from pitstop and the likes, a scrap yard to get some metal plate to cut into washers and a fastners shop for hi tensile rod and some extra long nuts. Cost you like $20

I have a tool but it won't work with the older flanged bushes. Looks like a brute force hammering is about to happen.

I have a tool but it won't work with the older flanged bushes. Looks like a brute force hammering is about to happen.

Pretty sure your arms will fall off before that bush comes out

Yeah thats why I want the tool. But seen enough videos of how to bash it out so will see how it goes.

Good news when I dropped the drivers rear trailing Arm I was surprised to see a newer bush in there. Being newer it had no flange so it came right off with the tool I had. The bush was in quite good condition so it will be interesting to see what the other one is like. Have a look at this video and you can see how much stock bushes move around. Imagine how much worse it gets when they are buggered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HhqLhxKc4