Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Your mission should you choose to accept it

Right then chaps (and chapettes),

Im looking to find a car for my nephew. He's a student and has just spent every last penny he had on getting to Holland for his grandads funeral so when I stress that the car needs to be economical and more importantly reliable, I mean it !

He doesnt have a licence either so it will be what Ill be teaching him to drive in, so it cant be a complete dog for me to drive either !

Obviously Im thinking e30 but I see there is a 2002 in Wellington on TradeMe which I would love to get, but after thinking about buying one around xmas and talking with a few people I just think the parts etc are becoming a little too rare for my liking and it may require too much work.

I dont need a M325 or anything and Im thinking a nice tidy 318 could be just the ticket. Id prefer manual but I see plenty of you guys have made the switch so perhaps thats not so important. Im not afraid of buying something that needs a little work because I will at least know it been done properly rather than taking someone elses word for it. Never trust what the seller is telling you is my motto.

I need it to be as cheap as possible, so what do people think I would have to spend for something like this ? Would any of the Wellington posse be up for helping me find something and perhaps more importantly help me fix it up a little bit ?

When I bought my first car at 17 I was on my own. I knew nothing about cars and ended up buying a lemon from someone who I thought was a mate. He then dropped me as soon as I handed the cash over and watched the car fall to pieces over the first 6 months.

But here I am with the wealth of information that you lot have, so Im sure I get start him off in the right way.

All advice is very welcome.

go a 318 indeedy....320s use as much gas as the 2.5 and are gutless anyway.....a 5spd one would be nice....maybe a facelift due to rust issues? its hard to pick a car, but if it seems like its been well looked after generally and drives nice it should be fine....get one of the wellie guys to come with you to take a look. also there seems to be a lotta ppl who can help out when stuff goes wrong....good luck!

reliable = honda.

get a honda.

e30 = lots of sh*t to fix on it, and never get it all anyways..

+ e30 = slow / boring

haha!

reliable = honda.

get a honda.

e30 = lots of sh*t to fix on it, and never get it all anyways..

+ e30 = slow / boring

45 mins mate....your slipping.

Damian is right tho - e30 and cheap and reliable don't necessarily go together. Something small and japanese would be much better suited to your purposes and would probably cost 1-2g less than an equivalent e30.

If your heart is set on BMW give nath on the forums here a PM. He has a mechanically sound and very tidy 316 that I happen to know is about to come on to the market. It has same sun damage in the paint on the boot but otherwise is a wee minter.

Damian is right tho - e30 and cheap and reliable don't necessarily go together. Something small and japanese would be much better suited to your purposes and would probably cost 1-2g less than an equivalent e30.

If your heart is set on BMW give nath on the forums here a PM. He has a mechanically sound and very tidy 316 that I happen to know is about to come on to the market. It has same sun damage in the paint on the boot but otherwise is a wee minter.

Yep, have heard from Nath already and am waiting on him for some photos and details. Are there any photos on here ? Ive not seen any.

I can understand what both yourself and Damian have said, but lets be honest, we are all here because weve chosen BMW's over Honda's....so lets start the boy on the right track.

so lets start the boy on the right track.

right track?..

with a blindfold on and a posible repeat of your own experiences of first cars?

how bout getting him something he can (try to) run into the ground, have some good fun in, and not have to spend every cent on fixing up..

just something jap.. dont even need to be a honda.

they are just the best ones thou..

really.

anything else is pussy.

im serious.

pussys

right track?..

with a blindfold on and a posible repeat of your own experiences of first cars?

how bout getting him something he can (try to) run into the ground, have some good fun in, and not have to spend every cent on fixing up..

just something jap.. dont even need to be a honda.

they are just the best ones thou..

really.

anything else is pussy.

im serious.

pussys

In all seriousness I couldnt agree more Damian. No matter how much I hate the Jap-mobiles you cant go passed their value for money.

But thats the whole point of this thread. If I can get some help from you guys and get a half decent e30 then I will.

99% of the troubles I had with my first car were because I knew nothing about them. This time around I have at least a basic knowledge, great mechanics at Page, excellent mates on here for parts and advice, and a bit of money in my back pocket to do what I want.

Bullshit, nothing wrong with getting a well kept E30 318i. You will run the risk with any car of a similar age, dunno why everyone goes on about it been expensive. They are as simple mechanically as any Jappa of the day.

But do you really want to put a family member in a small Jappa death trap to save a grand or two?

I'll keep an eye out for you Martyn. E30 318 sounds like the way to go. I'm actually keeping an eye out for myself as well (wewt Learners in a month!)

As for Damian, a good jappa could be the way to go if you can't find a good 318i Manual. I suppose you'll have to keep in mind your nephews job and insurance etc etc.

Just NOT a Honda. <_<

MY CAR

thats mine, i will admit that its not a steal as far as price goes, which is why i dont have it for sale on here i guess...... but a rough idea is that i sold my old white one for 4.5k with 197km, so ill want less than that for this.

200,000km

new valves hydr lifters, cam grind

all original manuals and documentation, full jery clayton history including delivery papers (why that matters i dont know)

5 speed manual

tacho+economy thing

parcel shelf with moulded in stop light

5 exc tyres

remote locking (alarm)

new jvc headdeck that matches dash with red lights (orig bmw srereo included)

perfect interior

new front and rear emblems

new gearstick

new rubber bmw mats

full unused toolkit

Edited by nath

MY CAR

thats mine, i will admit that its not a steal as far as price goes, which is why i dont have it for sale on here i guess...... but a rough idea is that i sold my old white one for 4.5k with 197km, so ill want less than that for this.

200,000km

new valves hydr lifters, cam grind

all original manuals and documentation, full jery clayton history including delivery papers (why that matters i dont know)

5 speed manual

tacho+economy thing

parcel shelf with moulded in stop light

5 exc tyres

remote locking (alarm)

new jvc headdeck that matches dash with red lights (orig bmw srereo included)

perfect interior

new front and rear emblems

new gearstick

new rubber bmw mats

full unused toolkit

Nath, PM me a price.

Cant promise anything as I wasnt expecting to find anything quite so soon, but Im interested.

For me - easily summed up.

You want cheap and reliable - go Japanese

You want style - go Euro

You want endless trouble - go American

I've had a lot of cars and I've always found the same thing with my Japanese cars. They do everything perfectly, seldom break down etc - BUT - totally souless to drive. I've never regretted selling any Jap car I've had. I've regretted selling every Euro car I've had.

They do everything perfectly, seldom break down etc - BUT - totally souless to drive. I've never regretted selling any Jap car I've had. I've regretted selling every Euro car I've had.

I couldnt agree more Rog and the very reasons I want the boy to start with something that he can 'enjoy' driving.

Japanese cars seldom break down etc - BUT - totally souless to drive. I've never regretted selling any Jap car I've had. I've regretted selling every Euro car I've had.

jap cars (not the new ones) feel plastic to drive, all my jap driving mates who have driven my car first found it difficult then commented on how much more of a car it felt like to drive.

starting a kid on an e30 is the perfect recipe it is an icon as far as modern cars are concerned. the engineering is simple and robust.

having an e30 and fixing it yourself etc.. is all as important as learning to drive a car (for males) understanding how a car works by pulling it apart and in the process learning how much of a terrible asset a car is can be the most valuable lesson.

key word here 'SOULESS'

out of all the cars i've driven the e30 feels right, tough, safe, and my peace of mind when hitting the rev limiter with one rear wheel spinning round a corner is fantastic because i know the car loves it.

having an e30 and fixing it yourself etc.. is all as important as learning to drive a car (for males) understanding how a car works by pulling it apart and in the process learning how much of a terrible asset a car is can be the most valuable lesson.

I totally agree - half the fun of having a car is getting to know it mechanically. It stands you in good stead later. Also, learning with your Dad helping is a joy that most people reflect on favourably later in life. I think Martyn's son is a lucky lad who is going to enjoy this learning experience. :D

I love playing around with engine parts.

I am female.

Bullshit, nothing wrong with getting a well kept E30 318i. You will run the risk with any car of a similar age, dunno why everyone goes on about it been expensive. They are as simple mechanically as any Jappa of the day.

But do you really want to put a family member in a small Jappa death trap to save a grand or two?

agreed.

and agree with ollie as well

my peace of mind when hitting the rev limiter with one rear wheel spinning round a corner is fantastic because i know the car loves it.

:lol:

:lol:

i still cant justify a grand on an lsd in a 320. :huh: