Sign in to follow this  
ashmill

X5 Value

I have a friend who is wanting to sell his X5.

It is a 2004 X5 4.4L V8 Motorsport, Black, Facelift, NZ new, one owner, 37,000kms. Full service history from day one.

I have driven this X5 and it is like a new car. There are absolutely no blemishes inside or out. Garaged under a cover all its life.

Dilemma!! What's it worth? My thinking is low to mid twenties, my friend wants considerably more. Before I gently let him know the real price I would value your considered opinions.

I think Ron's reasoning is sound. the 10% premium for low-use.

The discussion could be bruising to your friendship.

He could simply put it on trademe on a no-reserve auction from $15k and see where it goes, you can bid to win. That way he's got the lowest price the market is prepared to pay, and you've not 'put one over on him' with a low-ball offer. If he's brave, he could try $1 reserve...

Ultimately it's only worth what someone's prepared to pay. If he's sure it's worth $30k, let him try.

EDIT: If I had the dough sitting around, it'd probably be worth $17,500 of my money. My logic is that with 120k use (about 3-4 years of touring the country on top of the existing 37k) it'll be worth about $4-8k in the future market. I'd not want to lose much more than $10k in deprecation in addition to maintenance during my ownership, on this particular vehicle.

Edited by Olaf

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1044330070.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1043183275.htm

Judging from these two auctions, one being a 66k imported 4.4L and the other being 90ks nz new but 3.0L,

Id say its 'worth' about 25-30k BUT if anyone is going to pay that much is a whole different story.

As a seller, its quite sad to see the prices of these "similar but inferior cars" and feel "why wont anyone buy my car for just $5k more? its totally worth it!"

Id say list for 25k starting and put a reserve of whatever hes willing to sell for (eg. 28k or 30k or 35k etc). If it reaches reserve then he gets his desired price. If not, then he knows what people are willing to pay

Thanks everyone for your input, I agree with you. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I will let him down gently!!

As a recent old E53 X5 buyer I think a mint low km unit would be worth $20-25k. You can't get an E70 for anything less than about $30K.

I didn't pay much for mine but am dropping a few $k getting it professionally tidied up (paint, carpets, re-dying the bumpers/black trim, replacing/repainting roof rails, reconditioning the lights, repainting interior door handles blah blah blah) plus buying new mats ($120), boot liner (2nd hand $50) and cargo net (hard to find, 2nd hand $70). I intend to keep it for some time and have a 4yr MTF wty on it so the investment is worth it - and I grin every time i drive it. V8 X5s sound great :D

But yeah - i'm with you in thinking a mint E53 that doesn't need anything spent on it and with little wear and tear would be a good buy for low-mid $20ks.

NZ New, 2 owners, V8 Sportpac, 100kms.... $17k. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1046650527.htm looks tidy, sounds well looked after.

Not an M-Sport, and higher K's.... still, 100 kms for 14 years old, it qualifies as low k's.

It'd be $13-15k all day long, given the number on the market, and the comparative age and unattractiveness of V8s for most punters.

I rest my case.

I think if he's patient he'll get a decent price but not higher than you're thinking.

If I was buying mid-$20s then I'd definitely want to get a 4.8is rather a standard 4.4i. There's a nice 4.8is in Akld with 124kms on it for $25.

I went for a particular unit that (a) wasn't silver - to many silver BMWs in the carpark at work and (B) had a lighter-coloured interior so the kids and wife wouldn't complain (as much) in Summer. The downsides are that the Silver exteriors seem to weather better than the darker colours and black leather interiors seems to look and wear better - and the carpets don't get so mucky. Thus why I'm having to drop some $$ on tidy up, and keep telling myself - "it was cheap in the first place!"

Pete, if you've not experienced them, consider http://europeanleathercare.co.nz in Petone. You can have them do the work on your leather, or buy their kit and do it yourself. with a few hours elbow grease, I had my volvo black leather seats looking nealy new. the Elephant leather preservative is amazing. HTH. They do different kits to match the colour of your leather.

Firmly recommended.

• Like 1

Cheers - looking at their gallery the results are *amazing*!!!

Will put this on my 'to-do later' list :)

37k in 12 years?Let your freind know that for some that is the exact opposite of what a car needs.That means very little use at all,or a lot of very short runs.Neither are actually good for an engine.So for some the low mileage is NOT attractive

Edited by kiwi535