Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

When you find out your car isn't the model year you thought...

54k seems a little steep doesn't it? I'm not really up with the play on prices for these but I'd think a 2008 would be worth closer to 45 than 54 no?

54k seems a little steep doesn't it? I'm not really up with the play on prices for these but I'd think a 2008 would be worth closer to 45 than 54 no?

Well yea, true, you could probably get a real 2010 model at 54k haha.

its still an 08 m3 ... not the best year for the model.

its still an 08 m3 ... not the best year for the model.

But I've been told it's a 2010? WTF! ;)

Ssangyongs?

Haha Andy, might just as well have been! They were registered as NEW cars.

Nothing dodgy about it, all within the letter of the law.

Lots of cars sit around in storage for a looking time before they get sold. It's not the first owner, a dealer must register the car when it is sold to a customer.

Remember all the pictures of cars parked in rows when the GFC hit? Think how long some of those would have sat around before they found a home and were registered.

There is now an unofficial gentleman's agreement amongst importers that anything over 2 years old at first registration will have the build date clearly identified to the customer.

Haha Andy, might just as well have been! They were registered as NEW cars.

Nothing dodgy about it, all within the letter of the law.

Lots of cars sit around in storage for a looking time before they get sold. It's not the first owner, a dealer must register the car when it is sold to a customer.

Remember all the pictures of cars parked in rows when the GFC hit? Think how long some of those would have sat around before they found a home and were registered.

There is now an unofficial gentleman's agreement amongst importers that anything over 2 years old at first registration will have the build date clearly identified to the customer.

And thats how it should always be,both dates shown

A point to note: that is the official importers, ie BMW NZ, M-Benz, NZ, European Motor Distributors, etc. NOT the smaller independent "used" car importers.

So check closely with those guys when they offer "new" vehicles for sale!

I see... still, it can't be legal to advertise it is a later model just because it's registered late, surely?

It doesn't happen often because dealer would register the car themselves and put some kms on it and sell it at a little discount to get it off their yard and get some profit in their pocket but things like this does happen for whatever reason. I'm sure if you ask a dealer, they can come up with many reason why this happens, it's rare but it does happen.

These pre-facelift e92 are manufactured right up to Feb2010, so whether it's made in 2008 or Feb2010, it's still the same car.

If it was registered in 2011 then there maybe some confusion as to whether it's pre-facelift or facelift which bmw calls LCI.

I have seen e36 328i registered in 2000, now e36 328i stopped production in Sept1997. This is a big confusion when advertising the car, but it's not illegal, it is all legal, you advertised the year of the car based on when it was registered, that registered year is on all your legal documents. No one would have thought dealer won't register a vehicle for years.

• Like 1