Sign in to follow this  
bga

Misrepresented MSport - E90's

Hi folks, currently looking at replacing 2 cars - after an E30 coupe to replace my E36 Convertible that sold the other week and getting rid of my Outlander and looking at potentially E90's. I'm pretty green on this model and theres quite a few on trademe that are advertised as MSport etc that I dont think are - Carjam is not conclusive - this one for eg:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1061063372.htm

is a highline maybe (from my limited knowledge of this trim level) but in the listing it says "BMW MSPORT - The ultimate ....' looks to have a set of MSport wheels and an M badge on the boot only but the interior looks pretty non M to me, any observations from folks who are a bit more clued up than me? ta

In general 'M' vehicles in their various guises can be spotted by their black head lining.

Also take the plate number to carjam and get the last 7 digits of the vin (KX19054), then go to a BMW vin decoder like http://www.bmwvin.com/ there are a few but thats at the top of the Google search right now.

An mspec vehicle should have some kind of M or Sports components, other than wheels, i don't see any such suggestions on the vin of this vehicle.

For comparison check out vin NE96244 off this listing here http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1052703447.htm

A lot of vendors, private and commercial, are just plane ignorant, or hopeful. If I had $1 for every time an 'AC Schnitzer' BMW had turned up on trademe that was Authenticated by the presence of maybe $100 of parts from Ebay (Pedals, Handbrake lever and Badging), i'd have several hundred dollars, and if I had the same $1 for every time someone put an M badge on a non M BMW, I'd have several thousand.

I've had a car yard talk to me about an E39 540 that had Schnitzer pedals like they were letting me in on a secret and I was about to get the deal of the century because 'isn't interesting that it has Schnitzer pedals?' And I'm like no, not really, they are less than $50 on trademe.

There was a trademe listing a few weeks back with an E60 545 something or other that had been 'tuned to M5 spec', and this was based on bullshit the dealer had fed to the customer.

• Like 3

And on the flipside - you also see the occasional thing in reverse. Like a 320 at a Wgtn dealer at the moment, listing doesn't mention M anything yet it has suspension, wheels, seats, sports package II (whatever that is lol), and yes, anthracite roof lining.

thanks guys.. its the seats that give it away for me I think, cheers for the VIN lookup tip, I'll use that in future :). Got a link for the 320 wgn SmithyInWelly? after a 325 really but not ruling anything out

Edited by bga

if you do a quick google search for e90 msport you can see that there are major differences in appearance between stock models and msports

Dont go with the 320i, they have a terrible rep for reliability. Go with at least a 323i or 325i as the sixes are better engines.

• Like 2