Sign in to follow this  
jacknz

Towing with an E60 530i

I've been an off and on reader of this forum for a while now, and am considering a Touring for myself, which would also have to perform towing duties for our trailer boat which weighs in at approx.1550kg, I'm wondering if an E60 would handle it?

I think I've seen that they are rated up to 2000kg? I remember seeing them in Europe pulling caravans etc

Any opinions ?

Cheers,

Jack

Any reason why you are looking at the 530i rather than a 530d or even a 535d? If it's main reason for buying is towing, the low down grunt of the diesel (and much better fuel consumption when towing) would make it a better option IMHO.

I assume that your trailer is braked, if so then e60/61 will have no problem towing it, they weigh in at about 1800Kg, if towing is the MAIN reason for buying the car then i agree you should at least consider a diesel, if it is just an occasional thing then a 530i should be fine just keep the cooling system up to scratch, including the trans oil cooler.

All the above is probably true, but I have had no problem towing my E30 race car about 1500kg including trailer etc with E60 530i, including trips Wellington to Taupo and return.

Well, thanks for the replies, the towing is occasional, from Taupo to the local ramps, and over to Tauranga 2-3 times a year, so I think a petrol will be ok, as much as I would love a diesel, its just not in the budget, and there aren't that many around, particularly a wagon.

I hear what was said about the cooling system, do the E60's all have the ZF trans or were there some other gearboxes used?

We have an E36 325i coupe in manual which we've had for 10+ years, not long ago I put a new Radiator, water pump and thermostat housing in that, its a keeper, which we have never had to put a new battery in!

I towed my E34 with my E60 530d. Which I recently sold for less than 15k. Don't be scared off by higher mileage 530D's. In NZ they work out about the same with fuel and Tax costs. However the diesel is far superior when towing and long distance. I did 1100kms on a tank with some spirited driving.