Sign in to follow this  
markoneswift

New guy in Hamilton - 318ti

Hey all, after some searching and a near purchase of a 320i, my son has now purchased a 2002 318ti and is in love with it. I'm an IT engineer by profession and pretty handy with some spanners so I'm here to get some tips and tricks fir fixing up the wee beastie for him.

We have a couple of issues that I'll post about in the relevant sections but basically, we have all the ABS warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree and the car is throwing secondary air injection error codes from the ECU. We got a great price on it though, so hopefully these are not going to be too damaging to fix !

Edited by markoneswift
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum mate! Can't go wrong with a ti, shall be a lot info / help from the community, cheers!

Sell it before it gives you anymore grief and get a 6 cyl one.

• Like 2

should have joined the forum and asked around *before* going off and buying a car :ph34r:

anyways welcome! photos please

Welcome!

Prob need to get the ABS unit repaired - by 'the guy in Nelson :D) which is a few hundred bucks. Just doing this for my E53 X5... could just be a wheel sensor.

yes indeedy, welcome to Bimmersport! You should find a fair ammount of info here on the N42 power plant. Although it was launched to much fanfare and was a bit of a techernogical masterpiece, it has turned out to be a bit of a reliability liability, for oil leaks, valve stem seals, timing chain & guides, thermostat (overheating)... so tread carefully.

The e46 itself is a great platform (I'm biased), and if your N42 turns out to be a lemon (here's hoping not!), you can get your lemonade by employing "BMW Lego", and substituting 325i or 330i running gear (There are threads here too)... to make a seriously grin-inducing hot-hatch sleeper 325Ti or 330Ti.

Don't be alarmed at the somewhat savage welcome, folks here are very helpful though do exhibit strongly held beliefs and do call it straight.

cheers!