Sign in to follow this  
agent75

M54b30 on an engine stand

Basically an embarrassing question but i somehow feel nervous about putting my m54b30 on to my engine stand with its fancy alloy Constructon. It just doesn't seem right. I'll obviously use bolts that thread on to tapped bell housing holes but any other precautions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did mine I air freighted it to France. I dismantled the Eiffel Tower to build a small frame to hold the engine instead of the engine stand. Took a few hours to put the tower back up though.

• Like 4

I deserve that. I was actually going to get 100000 spiders to spin a giant interlocking web cradle which would be held by fairies but your idea seems equally valid. Otherwise i think I'll just suck it up and bolt the thing to my $85 Topmac engine stand.

I deserve that. I was actually going to get 100000 spiders to spin a giant interlocking web cradle which would be held by fairies but your idea seems equally valid. Otherwise i think I'll just suck it up and bolt the thing to my $85 Topmac engine stand. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the worst that can happen? Its not far from an engine stand to the ground, and I assume you wont be lying under it while a troupe of gypsies dance on your engine? Your engine stand should have some kind of capacity on it somewhere, a bit of google will tell you what your engine weighs, the rest is simple math.

• Like 1

It's not the stand I'm worried about Its the alloy block with the alloy bell housing bolt holes .. I thought they may not be up for the weight of the engine.

Edited by agent75

just use as many bolts as you can.I dont think the strength of the construction will be an issue at all,just make sure the bolts are well threaded into their holes

I had one parked on a stand for 12+ months. Loaded it onto a trailer and shifted house. Ran the correct tap through it before I bolted the gearbox back on, sailed straight through.

Just because its aluminium doesn't mean its weak. Your only concern will be finding the right pitch bolts to hold it to your stand - should need minimal torquing

Ali threads/housings aren't weak, but they are easily (relatively) damaged, just be carefull not to cross thread or otherwise bind them up. Oh, and obviously don't hang the whole weight of it on that thread you just got in a half turn... :P

As utterly hilarious as some of the replies were thanks to the last couple of posters for reading my question and sticking to the topic rather than exercising their keyboard wit

I had one parked on a stand for 12+ months. Loaded it onto a trailer and shifted house.

Strangely enough i am moving house too and will be moving the engine on the stand. I put it on the stand last night and the earth didn't open up and swallow me. Job done. Thank you