Sign in to follow this  
allan

Bavsound up grade

This arrived today from pelican seems like their is a kit available now to up grade your stock sound system

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/accessories/bavsound-bmw-speakers.htm?utm_source=Pelican+Pit+Stop+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b33fbf3c61-BMW_Bavsound_AB_TEST6_22_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e247719183-b33fbf3c61-6840233

comments from the knowledgeable ones on sounds.

Not a fan.

Better results and for cheaper can be done than the bav system.

I've looked at these in the past and my findings were that they aren't the best components but far from bottom of the barrel. The biggest advantages are that they're plug and play and guaranteed to fit perfectly, you don't need to make sure of that yourself.

But e36's aren't that difficult to cater for really and a quick call to a car audio expert will give you a comparison price.

There are Dayton speaker based kits as well for e46. Similar priced and similar performance. If you don't mind a bit of fabrication the Dayton drivers can be brought direct from factory or via parts express for roughly half the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282067465803?item=282067465803&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

DIY part numbers http://m3support.net/thread/227/300-speaker-upgrade-overhaul-dayton

Weakest part of the e46 sound setup is the speakers.

2nd weakest part is the amp (if you have one).

Headdeck is third weakest but is not terrible.

Another major problem with the e46 is the speaker location.

The front speakers are connected to the door card and not the door, so there is no chamber behind the speaker and they vibrate like hell.

Modifying the door by cutting a hole behind the door and using a solid baffle makes a HUGE difference.

Here is my first prototype with rimu timber (its a very hard wood) and bolted to the metal with really strong screws/bolts and sealed with plasticine.

post-51352-0-41298000-1466991041_thumb.j

After this I covered the whole door on the inside and outside with sound deadener, including over the baffle.

Then speaker installed with its gasket and very strong screws.

My advice would be;

1. build or get built the door pod and cut the door as I have done.

2. then install a good quality 6.5" driver and tweeter component set in the front (you can get better speakers than the bavs and cheaper).

This will provide you with a huge improvement.

If you want to improve further;

3. install an amp (or amps) under the parcel tray to power the speakers, and replace rear parcel tray speakers with the same brand and series as the front. These need to be secured well as the connection is not very strong here either.

If you want to improve further;

4. replace headunit.

Other things that should not be overlooked is sound deadening, quality cabling, and quality connections. Always solder connectors instead of crimping or terminal blocks and use heatshrink so there is no chance of oxidization.

You can create a quality result without blowing the bank.

• Like 1

Alan has the advantage that the compact doors are already opened up. No need to cut the metal.

An alternative to running new amp and cabling iis the technic plug in harness. The mid bass wiring on the e46 is roughly 15 gauge so debatable to replace. Otherwise quite a bit of trim removal is required to route cable through car.

http://www.technicpnp.com/product_purchase/BMW_HiFi_3series_E90-92-93.html

Edited by Neal

Alan has the advantage that the compact doors are already opened up. No need to cut the metal.

Wow, I had no idea the speakers bolted directly to the doors in the compact.

Pity BMW didn't do the same for the coupe, sedan and wagon as it makes a huge difference.