Sign in to follow this  
5speedbeam

WTB E36 Coilovers

Hey guys, im looking to buy some coilovers for my e36, so far ive been quoted $800 for a set that are considered cheap and budget in the states.. im open to anything and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have yellowspeeds in my race car and quite good, $1200 retail. My mate is the importer of you want to get in touch

Have heard good things about both yellowspeeds and xyz(speedfactor sell them i think?). Will be getting one or the other eventually for my project ;) 

Cheers guys! Im looking for something not too expensive that is good on the street. Just wanting to be able to lower my car

6 hours ago, 5speedbeam said:

Cheers guys! Im looking for something not too expensive that is good on the street. Just wanting to be able to lower my car

If all you want is to lower your car and make it feel a bit better on the street and you don't wanna brake the bank. Why don't you just buy lowering springs? :)

If you just want low & cheap contact this guy. I think he does racelands for a reasonable price, he posts on facebook quite often!

I still want coils, i want my car to handle nicely, lowering springs arent really my thing cos i want the adjustability. I just dont want to spend $1200 on coils but im happy with around 800. Ive been quoted 800 for JOM Bluelines, has anyone used these? lots of mixed reviews online. Cheers

so you still need to get it certed after its had coild fitted, between 300-500 dollars. You will need to check with your cert guy as to what to buy, some cheap brands do not meet NZ specs and will not pass the cert processes. 

YEllow, XYX, fortune, BC are all sold in NZ and the cert guys will be familiar with them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5speedbeam said:

I still want coils, i want my car to handle nicely, lowering springs arent really my thing cos i want the adjustability. I just dont want to spend $1200 on coils but im happy with around 800. Ive been quoted 800 for JOM Bluelines, has anyone used these? lots of mixed reviews online. Cheers

for $800 plus about $400 for a cert, your car will handle worse and will cost more than getting koni yellow adjustable shocks and eibach springs.

You get what you pay for and the cheap coilovers are pretty crap, as the metal wall thickness is thin and the welds are known to break.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah ive been thinking about it and i might just spring for some BC or yellowspeeds or something quality. Thanks for your input guys!

to give them their beans, the low rent coilovers have their place in other markets around the world, and when you have a shitty 1.4L FWD Golf overall performance isn't really at the top your priority list anyway. 

But here where we have certs, just a waste of time buying sh*t sets, even if your vehicle is like the above.

Yellowspeed/XYZ/BC Gold etc all have the spring rate set independent from the ride height, and have adjustable shocks (XYZ have Koni shocks inside, not sure about the others). the cheap as chips one set the ride height at the same time as setting spring compression, what this means is softer spring rate to get lower, the downside of course being the lower you go the more shocking the handling.

• Like 3

Just spend the extra money and get BC golds. If you can buy coilovers under a grand they'll be sh*t