Sign in to follow this  
nzsapper

Advice on Importing from UK

Hi

Looking to source an E39 M5 from UK, any ideas on who to use to assist with sourcing and importation. I understand about the UK vehicles and salt, you only live once and I want/need an E39 M5, the way I see it as long as I carry out due diligence then I have reduced risk. Any info much appreciated, Regards Paul

Make sure check with NZTA - fact sheet 44b Would be imported as special interest vehicle. Only 200 permits are issued each year. Other restrictions apply depending on intended use in NZ. 

Thanks for that, didn't occur to me to do this.

Would also recommend to contact 'Munich Legends' in GB. They can give you valuable advise and maybe know of cars that would suit the bill. 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:55 AM, nzsapper said:

Hi

Looking to source an E39 M5 from UK, any ideas on who to use to assist with sourcing and importation. I understand about the UK vehicles and salt, you only live once and I want/need an E39 M5, the way I see it as long as I carry out due diligence then I have reduced risk. Any info much appreciated, Regards Paul

There is a tasty Avus blue M5 for sale in the Wellington area NZ new too, with full service history.

Doubt you would import a M5 from UK (If you can get a SIV permit to do so) for what the vendor is wanting for this car.

No affiliation by the way.

I'm actually bringing my z4m coupe from the UK, using a company called extreme global, my friend previously brought a mk 2 TT tdi over with them. You can get some well looked after cars from the UK,  99% they come with a good service history when they are enthusiasts cars but it's a long wait and can get expensive and always worth viewing the car in person. 

Actually viewed the M5 in Wellington, far better than photos portrayed, but sadly the car was sold before I could organise a PPI. So unless someone wishes save me a lot of hassle and sell me their E39 M5, I am going have to find another way. I have been told by NZTA the SIV permit can only be applied for once the car has arrived in NZ, seems like a huge risk even though a

SIV permit for an E39 M5 has been issued in the past

You'd have to look for an exceptional E39 M5 in the UK, to warrant the costs of bringing it over.

It's NOT unusual for E39's to have have rust repairs and sill/jacking pointts repalced.

You want a VERY thourough inspection, and someone you can trust to tell you what it's really like.

I'd be looking at one here, or flying over to inspect the car myself.

E39's are old enough now, that they have spent a long time on possibly salted roads.

On 8/4/2016 at 10:55 AM, nzsapper said:

Hi

Hi Paul,

I've been through this process of what you are proposing, the link below covers my experience...

I've had the car 3 years now and don't regret buying it. It worked out well in that it is a good car but could have turned to custard. Cars from the UK can be rusty as already stated but I haven't found any in mine yet.

I know of a NZ new car that is probably for sale, pm me and I'll give you the contact.

Dave