Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

X5 Transmission issues

I recently bought a 2004 X5 3.0i Diesel with the 6 speed auto. It has 265k on the clock but came with a FHS.

At 85k kms it has a service to fix defects 87-99-13-00-12, 87-00-02-00-01, 87-34-00-00-01.

At 98k kms the transfer box actuator was replaced, same date "checking function of transfer box WT= Drive vehicle found to cut power on takeoff and rear wheels lock found front shaft very difficult to turn, found hole in front diff casing. RMFD DIFF installed for $3600

At 100k kms the trans was serviced and the trans prog updated and hills prog activated to improve shift patterns $1000

At 185k the Trans was rebuilt under warranty, the Mechatronics unit was replaced for $4k on same date.

It passed a new WOF and A PPI from a BWM indie with no issue. And obviously the old owner mentioned no trans issue.

From the day it arrived it has not changed gear properly. From rest the car labours into 2nd gear meaning the engine makes more noise and seems to strain against the transmission. once I get into say 4th gear upwards it shifts fine. Worse when cold but sometimes it will shift perfectly maybe one in 10 times, from 1st upwards.

I knew the car has a possible battery issue so I swapped the battery for a known good one and took it to a local trans guy I have used before. He scanned it and reset the adaptations and suggested a fluid change might help. I did not get a print out of the errors but there were a couple relating to low voltage.

It maybe drove slightly better after this reset for a few days ?

So good advice I took it into the BMW dealer and had it scanned again as per the pic.

It does drive really well once rolling say above 60km, but it is slow speed stop start where is playing up, including the odd slam into 2nd.

The fluid in the trans has been changed every 100k or so and is due in 15k.

Am considering either driving to Auckland to find a trans place that knows these units well or a diy fluid and filter change.

Also, when driving down long hills it downshifts on brake until its reving at around 4k which feels too high. At that point I slip it into manual mode and change up a gear which then holds.

20160912083207263.pdf

Edited by Etwenty1
additional info

Hi Chris,

No experience with the X5 but your post got me interested and after a google search found many articles related to x5 auto problems this one was one that stuck out http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326211. 

Best of luck with getting it sorted.

Cheers Allan and Peter,

Ill be taking it to a BMW Indy this week. Frustrating that its a rebuilt trans, with new Mechatronic unit, new dif etc.

I was hoping the scan might reveal something.

I would find a second hand unit, once complicated automatics in 4wds go bad they are often never the same.

In all fairness if I saw a 2004 high torque diesel BMW with over 200k on the clock, the transmission would be the main thing I'd be worried about going wrong. 

The issue with finding a second hand one is if that would be any good or not, and they wont be cheap.

I'd almost be inclined to find a manual conversion kit to suit such, it would probably cost about the same!

Yeah the trans was also my worry with any X5 over over 150kms so when i saw this one with 75km on a full trans rebuild I figured it was a safer bet than one with 150km.

Yeah its a tricky one. 

My Toyota with its old 4 speed had a radiator leak so coolant got into the trans cooler line, meant the trans was buggered and needed a rebuild

Old owner had it done in 2005 at a cost of $3000 

In my mind that was a crazy expendature as lazy toyota rwd autos can be had used for a couple of hundred bucks, and are 90% of the time in perfectly fine condition

The main issue I had with the car was the auto felt bad, didn't shift right and was clunky, to the extend I found it had damaged the diff crown gear teeth, something I'd never seen on such. Even after a replacement diff it still felt bad. 

So it showed me even gearboxes with work done, don't necessarily mean they are going to be like new again, varying component spec and work standards must have a lot to do with it. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 8:36 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

How have you got on Chris?

No progress, no better. have been looking at other issues.

Pull out of work across main road every day into a gap, wagon shifts from 1st into 2nd and it loads up - i lurch forward in the seat. Almost like its not expecting 2nd and something is not releasing....not sure how else to describe it. Slightly better when warm.

Another question on this diesel is how long should it take to warm up?

This one takes a good 15 mins to get to 12 o clock on the gauge and on a long downhill run  - say half way down the kaimais the temp drops down to 1/4. Then goes back up on the flat.

God that sounds similar to the Jatco jerk the old E36s got.... hopefully its nothing as serious as that. Im not familiar with the trans in them, but can you check/clean/test the shift solenoids?

30 minutes ago, KwS said:

God that sounds similar to the Jatco jerk the old E36s got.... hopefully its nothing as serious as that. Im not familiar with the trans in them, but can you check/clean/test the shift solenoids?

Yes i could have them tested, pelican parts sells them as a kit. I waiting for a work trip to Auckland so i can take it to a trans expert.

39 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Diesel X5 takes about 10 minutes to warm up , going up hill and once there stays at temp regardless of up hill , down hill + 40 degree or minus 5 ambient air temp -

Suggest your thermostat is buggered i.e.  stuck open which suggests it has been over heated at some stage  check also the two fans, viscous in the engine bay and pusher in front of the aircon radiator, Neither should be operating when cool.

Thanks Ron, Does an overheat log a code?

Changed thermostat and consumption on open road has dropped from 8.1L/100km to 7.7L 

Trans issue has been solved by Sherson in Tauranga. Turned out to be low on fluid.

Feeling a but gutted that i didn't check this myself but there is no obvious leak and no flat surfaces at my current home.

Could have been under-filled at last service i guess? Great to get a simple fix for once.

Now onto the radius arm bushes, headlight not going, spot lights broken, A/C not working.....

• Like 2

Hey Chris - really pleased to hear you got things sorted - in a simple way!