Sign in to follow this  
Albertouy

Bring E30 up to scratch?

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I'm considering getting an e30, I always loved these since I was a kid and their boxy look and I'm in the process of getting a DD. I've been looking at e30's and I see I can get a hold of one for not too much money.

But the thing that scares me a bit is I know they will initially require some money to get it to good condition but are they the sort of car that no matter what you are always spending money on it?.

So my question is, even if i get something somewhat in decent condition. how much do you guys reckon is needed to bring a e30 up to good nick and are the things on these cars always going off?
My other alternative was a Mx-5 na but I love the look of the e30s.
Anyways I'm keen to hear your opinions.
Cheers,
Alberto

Edited by Albertouy

If you buy an E30 for $2000, you may need to spend $1000-5000 on it.

or you could spend $8000 on it and maybe not spend anything more.

Impossible to determine what needs doing as each car is different and has lived different lives.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that YOU WILL WANT to spend money on it whether its making it mechanically mint or aesthetic/performance mods.

Its definitely not a cheap car like a corolla but parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive if you are willing to learn and work on the car yourself/with friends and help from others (plenty on the forum).

But if you have a small/modest budget you could still come out with a decent E30 that is mechanically reliable and a solid DD if you are happy to sacrifice some luxuries such as non ripped seats, crack free dashboard, worn suspension components etc. lol..

• Like 1

Both are good cars. A good MX-5 can probably be had for less than a good E30 (depending on spec).

There are some excellent - and sometimes expensive - E30s available. There is also an abundance of over-priced tat. There is a current 'fashion' for owning an E30 which sees a lot of less-than-mechanically-sensitive owners buying them because they are deemed 'cool'. This can be a cheap source of a car if you're prepared to do some work.

Any car from the 1980s is likely to require ongoing maintenance unless it has had a comprehensive rebuild.

If you really want to get a feel for them, and are free next weekend, consider making the trip to Taupo for #E30MegaMeet and check a few out in the flesh. Will easily be the best place to see the myriad of different options available, and no doubt some people there will be selling theirs (like me!).

https://www.facebook.com/events/1548681222113649/

• Like 2

I have had our e30 for 12 years now and still tinkering with it. One thing I have learned though is don't listen to people who say ooooo euro car, it'll be expensive and complicated to keep going.....rubbish......I have found it is one of the simplest cars to work on due to lack of complex modernism and the Germans were very logical in the way they put it together. Also parts are plentiful and cheap if you know where to look. Plus with more and more dropping off the radar,they will become rarer (as no more are entering the country) and a good classic car with a large following and a great support network both nationally and internationally.Start off with a reasonable one and you'll be happy for a long time. Although my caveat being ours isn't a daily so that factor may change everything I just said. Lol

Edited by NZ300E

Agree with the comments above re simple to fix and maintain - though do expect gremlins to appear on a car 25+ years old... every part will eventually wear out; so its a small but constant stream of little things you need to do on even a well maintained example. Engine problems tend to be simple to fix, and manual gearboxes and diffs shouldn't have any issues as long as it hasn't been abused. I would pay particular attention to suspension bushings - if they haven't been done in the last few years, expect to be replacing them - they are not overly expensive or complex, it's just a physical and time consuming job.

The only thing I'd say is don't buy one if you're a perfectionist; I will freely admit I am not suited to classic car ownership as I want everything to work just so or look just right - Pelican Parts and FCP Euro have made a lot of money out of me while I replace random bits of worn trim, switches, door locks etc. Other friends are with E30's happily plod along with low ownership costs as things that would bother me don't bother them.

In saying this - what I spend in $$$ I get out in joy haha.

Edited by jonoe30

Cheers for the replies guys, very informative. I don't mind to work in the car myself so if I find a good one I'll go for it. I'm not really fuzzed of the condition of the car as long as it runs properly, in the future I'll be more inclined to start tinkering with it but at the moment I'll just try to keep it running and get from A to B.
Thanks for the Taupo invite but my wife is not particularly happy about me buying another car and she probably wouldn't appreciate me living her with our boy to see more cars! haha.