Sign in to follow this  
isis

Audio shops/alarms

will be collecting my new car tomorrow. its got a crappy head unit and i want to change it.

checked out parallel importers this afternoon at harris st but the buggers there are just ignorant. asked them a question about an Alpine head unit and all he can say was i don't know, haven't read the manual yet! like duh why the hell are u working there in the first place??!!

also i haven't got an alarm yet, i've checked out on of the topics about them over here. but still unsure. i've seen some of the mongoose m80's over on trademe gng for quite cheap including installation..wht do you guys think? or should i give warlocks a ring? budget around the 500 mark.

dealers wanted to charge me 825 for a meridian unit, i was like no way in hell!!!

cheers

will be collecting my new car tomorrow. its got a crappy head unit and i want to change it.

checked out parallel importers this afternoon at harris st but the buggers there are just ignorant. asked them a question about an Alpine head unit and all he can say was i don't know, haven't read the manual yet! like duh why the hell are u working there in the first place??!!

also i haven't got an alarm yet, i've checked out on of the topics about them over here. but still unsure. i've seen some of the mongoose m80's over on trademe gng for quite cheap including installation..wht do you guys think? or should i give warlocks a ring? budget around the 500 mark.

dealers wanted to charge me 825 for a meridian unit, i was like no way in hell!!!

cheers

I just had a Mongoose M60 installed for 425 in Wellington in the Scooby the other week. Doesnt help you in Auckland but might help with a price indication.

The thing is rather annoying though, thirty seconds of inactivity and it re-immoblises.....30 seconds is not a lot of time when you have to load/unload two kids and having to un-immobilise the car again to drive it is starting to get on my tits.

Paul Money for headunit

PK Auto Electrical in Penrose for alarm and install of both

Alarms: Dynatron 4600 alarm is awesome.

Headunits: Alpine 985x series is awesome too.

Mongoose M60 or M80

Dynatron D4600 or 4800.

Martyn - If you'd sprung for the M80 it has the ignition loop that deactivates the immobilser whenever the key is in or near the ignition. Dynatron D4800 is the same. So the immobiliser re-activates, you put the key in the ignition and before you've even turned it it has deactivated the alarm and away you go.

The 30 sec reactivation is a requirement for the insurance rating so if you want a 4-star alarm you cannot remove this feature.

The D4600/M6o are about $500 installed by a reputable dealer/distributor - expect to pay $700 for the m80/D4800 unless you can get it on special. Mine was $500 on special.

PI are cheap. but if you want advice go to someone like Paul Money. There is a wealth of info on car audio at forums.nzicemag.co.nz.

dynatron ftw. (sparkle i used it.. awesome)

i sell car stereo's at my work . will do good deals to any one the board .

back to work on thursday 2nd march .

STEREO WORLD 225 domion rd , mt eden , the big ungly blue building with the good looking staff .

want to throw me a deal, can pm me if you want. i need one install on an e36 coupe.. for insurance purposes as well as security as well...wouldn't mind one of the brands mention here as they seem to have a good history.

will gladly support members if the service, workmanship and after sales service is super!...

hopefully this weekend?

thanks...

Speaking of alarms, mine (BMW std) was set off the other day when a friend took his portable phone outside to speak and wandered past my car. Is this normal?

with the good looking staff .

you got hot ladies in there huh?

It's a 5-star alarm so you get everything a 5-star offers. But from experience they are a little pricey and the others are more common for probably good reason, but as long as AVS offer a good standard of installation and after-sales-service I don't see a problem.

Old story - a good install makes more difference than a good alarm. sh*t install on a gd alarm will make it worthless a good install on a cheaper alarm can make it excellent.

Very true, my last Uniden was installed by installer services limited, i dont think the could install their pen!$ into their wife, i strongly beleive that they offer crap installs (Manakau Branch anyway)

PK Auto electrical sounds like the go. I think i will go for AVS as it has alot of upgrade options, and the insurance companies seem to like them ^_^

go the mongoose map1100g with automatic window roll up, $220 on trade me and a little of $200 to install, just ring around you wont spend more the $500 plus its a 5star and you dont have to add another annoying big clunk of crap on your key ring so when you stick your keys in your pocket it doesnt look like a,..... but you have to have central locking on your key (works of that). xtra $90 for the window roll up.

would be good for electric windows, if i had them... ^_^

Just try not to get one which goes 'chirp chirp chirp chirp' when you set the alarm. They are f**king annoying, not to say gay as! :P

Any alarm which makes any noise at all when it is set or reset is crap, imo, but the worst I've ever heard was one which 'spoke' when anyone got too close. I can't remember what the 'conversation' with the alarm was, 'cos I was too busy rolling around holding my guts laughing at the wanker who'd install such a monstrosity in their car. He failed to see the humour of a bunch of people all laughing at his car... :lol:

i've been tossing up between the dynatron 7800 and the mongoose 80g...

the 80g it is with its extra immobiliser...

thnks for the inputs.