Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Follow the leader?

Is everyone scared to post after the mods thread?

- try this -

Since y'all seem bent on promoting tints, sacked, smoked and clear lights etc here, I've been noticing other cars on the road more. (this is NOT a scientific study, OK?)

My observations:

At least 90% of teens and young 20's have - tints and/or smoked lights.

I haven't seen one teen's car which isn't lowered.

There are a sh*t load of cars on the road with clears - more than ambers, it seems.

So - y'all want to conform (be the same as everyone else) to your peers?

What happened to individuality?

Is standing out from the crowd a bad thing these days?

Your thoughts...

Personally I think this whole trying to be individual is conforming to an idea of individuality, you're no different to every other person trying to be individualistic, it's all been done before.

I can't see how you think we all promote tints and sacking and whatever, if anything, what's been conveyed to me is the sense that we don't promote stupidity. Serious questions on this forum get serious answers latest example thread.

Unless of course i've missed something whats happened is the bullshit posts have stopped as people stop to reflect on what has really gone wrong here.

Edited by Carl

Ah well, you see, I can only respond with an opinion gained by reading the threads, Obviously, it seems I have read insufficiently, because my statement was formed purely upon my readings here.

Then again, when the threads wander off into some strange language, I must admit, I do stop reading them. :P

Personally I think this whole trying to be individual is conforming to an idea of individuality, you're no different to every other person trying to be individualistic, it's all been done before.

So, if I understand you correctly - if you conform, you're damned, if you don't, you're damned?? Therefore we are ALL damned?

Please don't get me wrong - I do understand there are serious questions and those are the ones I get most from here, however, I am strongly in favour of a lighter side to any forum.

Life being totally serious is not a good place for Kiwis to dwell. We enjoy life far too much for that.

You obviously don't understand "Bling" grandad.

by clears i assume you are refering to 'altezza' style not clear OEM style?

it was a few years ago that car tuning took a turn for the worse.

Remeber the days when the badest cars included:

white evo I sacked on evo tarmacs

WRX on secta's

anti-lag

new turbos, tdo4 td05 etc.

now its all chrome and altezza lights, neons and decals. :wub:

I am strongly in favour of a lighter side to any forum.

Hi my name is:

Damian.

You obviously don't understand "Bling" grandad.

Grandad! Why I oughta! :lol:

I can remember when the 'baddest' cars around were Mk1 Zephyrs lowered with wide wheels (we had to get our wheels widened at engineering works back then).

And don't forget racing stripes!!

... trying to tell me about bling mharrumph!! :lol:

As I was driving home just now, I was thinking about Carl's post - actually he's reinforcing my statement - I mis-read what he was saying, sorry mate! By trying to be individual, we conform ....

I can't afford to either conform by individuality or conform by following the leader, so I just leave my cars stock, which I guess is old fart's conformity? Bloody hells, can't win!! :lol:

I am strongly in favour of a lighter side to any forum.

Hi my name is:

Damian.

Voila, Damian's position in a nutshell

By trying to be individual, we conform ....

Voila, you got it.

we are all as individual as everyone else.

WRX on secta's

anti-lag

now its all chrome and altezza lights, neons and decals. :wub:

I remember when the latest trend was three spoke wheels, it wasn't THAT long ago either. I also remember saying to myself "myself, that looks crap, they won't be popular for long" Some of the emerging trends such as spinners and Altezza lights will be short lived I think, others such as hydraulic lift kits have been around for a while, and will probably remain so.

I remember this awesome Platenugrun 320i with tri-spokes on it, I believe they were worth in the 10's of thousands per mag. I think Topless has hte pleasure of owning them now.

Edited by E30stz

WRX on secta's

anti-lag

now its all chrome and altezza lights, neons and decals.  :wub:

I remember when the latest trend was three spoke wheels, it wasn't THAT long ago either. I also remember saying to myself "myself, that looks crap, they won't be popular for long" Some of the emerging trends such as spinners and Altezza lights will be short lived I think, others such as hydraulic lift kits have been around for a while, and will probably remain so.
So true.

well, im not a trend follower but im 16 and have a completely standard e30 318is ;) oh wait does a 12 inch sub count? :rolleyes: lol, and yea i want 20 inch chromies... but do i wana drive my car aswell?

Edited by DrphTa

Grandad! Why I oughta! :lol:

I can remember when the 'baddest' cars around were Mk1 Zephyrs lowered with wide wheels (we had to get our wheels widened at engineering works back then).

And don't forget racing stripes!!

... trying to tell me about bling mharrumph!! :lol:

As I was driving home just now, I was thinking about Carl's post - actually he's reinforcing my statement - I mis-read what he was saying, sorry mate! By trying to be individual, we conform ....

I can't afford to either conform by individuality or conform by following the leader, so I just leave my cars stock, which I guess is old fart's conformity? Bloody hells, can't win!! :lol:

And don't forget the coby system, headers / extractors etc , and chrome plated wheels and 272 v8 swap.

I kind of think the modded car formula recipe hasn't really changed that much.

Start by lowering suspension, more progressive shocks

Add a more free flowing exhaust

Engine work followed by more engine work.

Get more air into engine

Nice set of wheels

Sticky rubber to match

Upgrade to interior

Replace factory stereo

And these days lighting options that are more than just adding a hella grill kit.

And adding spoilers has changed to a huge aftermarket body kit market.

I've slowly been building up a Mk1 mini for about 10 years now, All the stuff I’m doing is has been done in the 1960’s & 70's parts plus a few new ones.

Included lowered height adjustable suspension, adjustable camber / castor on front / Camber on rear. Bored / stroked engine, lots of head porting / polishing , 45 sidedraught, Straight cut syncro gear box, new paint , wider aches , wider rims / tyres , Lots of Smiths gauges , recovered interior , Modern front car seats, free flowing exhaust etc etc.

I really don't see this car being any different to what the younger guys are doing (apart from being a long way down on HP and very old)

Really if anything the mods are using the same recipe as this car, IMO only difference is what 40 years of technology brings.

Perhaps you've got to the point where the a standard car has everything you want, in some way that's a good place to be.