Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Carburettion?

hell if i have not spelt it right prove me wrong

do it

anyone got info on doing this to the M20? would love to know some info on the process involved in such an undertaking

what do you hope to achieve by adding carbs into the mix of things? Hell ive considered it, but isnt it a lot better to go with a programable ecu? its definatly not much cheaper to go carbs once youve brought some decent webers/dellortos, got them re-jetted and rocked a custom manifold,

possibly could be worth it on a fully dedicated track car, but f**k it would use some gas.

not saying that 3x twin side webers wouldnt be hawt/sound brilliant. But yuh, why?

sound/badassness/power and I'm asking because i dont know things like cost/fuel. looking at options chumpy, but keep the info comin'

carbs would rock,,,

when i blow my turbo motor to pieces i think ill go for a triple weber set up

would sound awesome

cost = probably similar cos to link

decent sideys aren't cheap, and a monifold to suit probably wouldn't be either.

plus the time to set them up is near/more than it is to set up a link etc.

plus no gain in power, loss in driveability on triples, huge fuel consumption

oh but the noise *cough*pose*cough*

correct on all counts there. A friend of mine who is a fabricator has made several sets of inlet manifolds for triples for the M20, initially because they were going on to an E21 which was originally fitted with a carburettor, and had to retain the same form of induction. Another friend of mine (hell,just realised I have TWO friends!) subsequently bought one of these manifolds (c/w full house 2.7) and is in the process of fitting triple throttle bodies (weber pattern) to it. He hopes to have it ready for the 6 hour race at Puke, and so do I cos I'll be driving it!

hell if i have not spelt it right prove me wrong

do it

anyone got info on doing this to the M20? would love to know some info on the process involved in such an undertaking

PBMW mag has a article on a E21 C1 with triple Webbers(March/April 06) , Worth your while tracking down a copy.

Triple 45's or 48's would sound good (might only need 40’s) , Graham Berry Race (In the Berry and Chung days) cars used to make inlet manifolds for a variety of different cars, they could possibly make one to suit an m20. ( I have a nicely made ex mini seven B/C inlet manifold on my mini ). They maybe interesting in building you a set. It would be easy enough to put in a tap for vacuum hoses such as brake cylinder.

The trick would be to get the inlets to the right length, You'd need to sort out where in the rev range you want the power and get it built accordingly. (IE Short verse long manifolds) . Same goes for the velocity stacks on the carbs. Go for a 270 degree plus cam to make the best out of it. Lumpy cam will give the engine a nice off beat idle as well.

Korman have webber kits for the 3.0 cs etc , but I see they have also done an e21 323 , Could be worth contacting about who made the manifold.

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/pl323.htm

Alternatively maybe contact dbilas to see in the first part of the ITB mainfold would be suitable for carbs.

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=1894 ( :wub: )

http://www.dbilas-dynamic.de

(Just seen Conrads post , looks like local is no problem)

Linkages shouldn't be too much of an issue, plenty of aftermarket ones for triple set ups. Some thought may need to go into the right fuel pump as well.

For the carbs, IMO go for the DCOE Webbers over Dellortos , they're a bit easier to get bits for and give a slightly better top end.

As for Gas , maybe fit an e30 SA gas tank, you’ll probably going to need it.

Guest Andrew

correct on all counts there. A friend of mine who is a fabricator has made several sets of inlet manifolds for triples for the M20, initially because they were going on to an E21 which was originally fitted with a carburettor, and had to retain the same form of induction. Another friend of mine (hell,just realised I have TWO friends!) subsequently bought one of these manifolds (c/w full house 2.7) and is in the process of fitting triple throttle bodies (weber pattern) to it. He hopes to have it ready for the 6 hour race at Puke, and so do I cos I'll be driving it!
Alan down at Bavarian has a set with manifolds made up already.

I think it's www.fritzsbits.co.uk ?

They offer this as a tuning option, it ain't cheap from memory, but would be a fun alternative. Also available for the E32 from I think. . . .

Guest Spargo

Guy named Duncan Latchford on the OG E30Zone forum (as in the old old old free forum software one) did this to his UK 325i Sport. I think he ended up making c.200hp from a 2.5, sounded mean too. Probably drank like a bartender though.

He had it doing 14.4 quarters before the conversion to triples, so it could only have got faster.

runs http://www.classicrsfords.co.uk , and the car USED to be on there, but the car is no more, so its gone from the site too.

Alan down at Bavarian has a set with manifolds made up already.
Carburetion has one "T" Gus........

Are these fabricated from steel? If so, these are the ones I am referring to, that my friend has made up. A lot of work, I think they were about $1500 for the set of three. I almost think there is a market for having some cast out of aluminium.Hmmmmmm......... :confused:

Edited by conrod

i figured...but cant change titles, so stuck with it

interesting to hear view points.....i know bugger all about carbs so is always interesting to find out. will prob stay with fuel injection....still trying to come to a solid long term goal

2.5 turbo/2.7 turbo or high compy N/a 2.8.....

oh the decisions

Guest Spargo

2.7 turbo

N/A M20 = waste of time. Its been proven over and over and over.

Just gotta make the Turbs M20 reliable.

Besides, boost corrupts :mosh:

Just look at some of the RHD turbo conversions that are being done on the Zone Gus, HX40 powered 2.5's dropping 350hp at the rear, come on!

300+hp is surely unmanageable in an e30 and would ruin the dynamic of the car. they barely cope with standard power in the wet.

N/A all the way!

Tubro conversions, they are gay!

N/A all the way!

N/A all the way!

Edited by m325i

300+hp is surely unmanageable in an e30 and would ruin the dynamic of the car. they barely cope with standard power in the wet.

N/A all the way!

I am confused by this,why do you say it is unmanagable, do you think the motor will tear itself from its mountings and fall on the road in a smouldering heap?!!! Or do you mean YOU could not handle 300hp? Or is your car unmanagable in the wet because you have some low profile Nankangs, lowered springs giving it lots of negative cvamber and no tyre footprint, and a set of buggered shocks? And what is the dynamic of the E30 that you refer to? I am building an E30 with an S50 3.2 engine, it will have 321hp(stock) and to be honest, this will be the limiting factor as to how fast the car ultimately is on the racetrack.It should/will handle better than most of the cars running in the muscle car class, but will get dusted off on the straights, and I am under no illusions about that. It would get its ass kicked if I were to run in this class.:confused:

Guest Andrew

You need boost conrod - was interesting to see some of the quick e30 m3 (not with stock powerplants) keeping up with the muscle cars (Like your O'Brien car friend) down at Ruapuna.

N/A all the way!

I am confused by this,why do you say it is unmanagable, do you think the motor will tear itself from its mountings and fall on the road in a smouldering heap?!!! Or do you mean YOU could not handle 300hp? Or is your car unmanagable in the wet because you have some low profile Nankangs, lowered springs giving it lots of negative cvamber and no tyre footprint, and a set of buggered shocks? And what is the dynamic of the E30 that you refer to? I am building an E30 with an S50 3.2 engine, it will have 321hp(stock) and to be honest, this will be the limiting factor as to how fast the car ultimately is on the racetrack.It should/will handle better than most of the cars running in the muscle car class, but will get dusted off on the straights, and I am under no illusions about that. It would get its ass kicked if I were to run in this class.:confused:
Beat me to it.

My E30 feels right at home with 300rwhp and loads of torque, a little lacking at times.

Sure, if you have a bog stock E30 with 300hp, that would be nasty, but any muppet that does that deserves to have a e30 that drives like sh!t.

You need boost conrod - was interesting to see some of the quick e30 m3 (not with stock powerplants) keeping up with the muscle cars (Like your O'Brien car friend) down at Ruapuna.

Not one to knock a Beemer, but from the race footage I saw there weren't too many at the pointy end of the field, even in the wet......... And the lap time sheet I saw reflected that too......... And yes, boost is definitely a possibilty in the future, I certainly haven't ruled that out, first thing will be get it going and sorted - the car AND my driving!...........

Guest Spargo

boost is definitely a possibilty in the future

New pedal box going on drivers side of the car I assume - concerned about turbo heat cooking brake fluid?