Sign in to follow this  
320SHKBTE

Bmw Corvette

Well the decision has been made,

My E36 is getting a new engine, a very high powered high torqe Corvette 350 V8, Have got the engine and gearbox, (supra 5 speed) and work will start next month (my mecanic is currently working on my Ol mans 454 V8!! :o )

it is quite a smooth change over as the sump is in the back, putting a hump in the bonnet will be the only exteroir change :) (untill i superchagre it) will post photos of work as it gets done, wish me luck! :)

BRING ON THE HORSE POWER!!

P.s I no that some of you will be angry because you wanna keep bmw a bmw, but this is somthing different, plus you wont even no what its got in it....except for the rumblling sound at the lights..

:P

Edited by 320SHKBTE

sounds exciting .. go hard. As long as theres a genuine reason behind it get a bonnet scoop :D!

sounds exciting .. go hard. As long as theres a genuine reason behind it get a bonnet scoop :D!

it aint a scoop just a hump cos the engine will be a bit high.. :P im gonna go for a look like the new ford bonnet has :)

351 cubic inches is a Ford motor.

350 cubic inches is a GM motor.

opps, typo..ta..:P

got the engine for free, my ol man put a new one in his corvette... :P WOOT

Good Swap. As the Saying Goes " Ain't no substitute for cubic inches,except more cubic inches" The rear distributor on the Chevy will be the only problem. If your car Hooks-up you will eventually break the Toyota box [Try and find a World-Class T-5 Borg Warner] The Speedo drive is also an issue. Hey Why Turbo it? 400 Honest horseys is easy to get from a single 4 barrel engine.

" Ain't no substitute for cubic inches,except more cubic inches"

Isnt it no replacement for displacement???

^_^

" Ain't no substitute for cubic inches,except more cubic inches"

^_^

cept a turbo

" no substitute for cubes" is an early american hotrod saying, quite appropriate for a chevy engine

If your car Hooks-up you will eventually break the Toyota box [Try and find a World-Class T-5 Borg Warner] The Speedo drive  is also an issue.

Turbo..ewww The supra box will easy hold, its an alloy 5 speed, used on the twin turbo supras, this ones specs shows it can take well over 500hp, I no its not HP that kills Gerboxes its Torque, but i have been assured it will be fine, the mecanhic i use is called the genuis... for good reason.... hes like a free lance mecanhic, you gotta no someone who nos him to get him :P if you saw my ol mans car you would understand...

Her is my ol mans car... (diffrent car but excactly the same, you will see it round hams..Dads has got a bigger blower)

post-5-1142750363.jpg

Edited by 320SHKBTE

Horsepower is Torque X RPM [divided by 5252] 'horsepower breaks gearboxes'. a good smallblock should be between 350 and 450 FT/LB's. toyota boxes are marginal at that. I've seen a lot off them break on the circuit [they can survive on the street] The BMW Getrag 265 box was used a lot in group'A' racing in mustangs/sierra's [they are tough]

The Speedo drive is also an issue. ..

It shouldn't be - If you're using a BMW diff which has a speedo drive in it (E30 & later).

Actually the diff may be the problem, iirc the BMw medium diff is good for about 350 HP , the large is good for a bit more but I don't think it will bolt into an E36 subframe without a bunch of mods

Might have a large case LSD diff in an E36 subframe (E36 M3) for sale if you need one. Someone has dibs on it at the moment, but not sure that he will take it. Love the "Judge!"

Edited by conrod

O'dear, a carb'd old iron block :thumbsdown:

If it were a EFI LS-1 or something that'd be better, but a "real" dirty old dinosaur motor, and with our stunning fuel prices!!

There are a few people in the US with LS-1's in their E30's & E36's, they can get them to sit real low and the EFI inlet manifold is quite flat so no bonnet issues.

Full credit for doing the swap, keep us posted with pic's etc...

Edited by E30-323ti

Nice work dude, will be interested to see how this turns out !

Go for it, sounds fun. Could be my new favourite after the E34 with the Lexus V8 and stainless headers.

So is your Dad's car a Chev Corvette or a Pontiac GTO?

1970 Buick Skylark...its mean, got a 454 super charged an blowen, got 900 horse's at the wheels!! hehe doing a 10 sec :o

Guest Spargo

1970 Buick Skylark...its mean, got a 454 super charged an blowen, got 900 horse's at the wheels!! hehe doing a 10 sec :o

Blowen (sic ) is the same as supercharged.

900 at the rears from an s/c'd 454 eh? Ever thought about entering it at the autosalon dyno comp?

FYI, you need less than 500hp to do a 10sec quarter.