Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

New 600hp 4 Cyl BMW P48 Engine

Quite a cool little article about the new P48 and a comparison with great pics of the M121, its predecessor from the 2002 Turbo.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/27667/bmws-new-600-hp-4-cylinder-engine-shows-how-far-engineering-has-come-since-1969

M121 and P48.JPG

M121 and P48 1.JPGM121 and P48 2.JPGM121 and P48 3.JPGM121 and P48 4.JPGM121 and P48 5.JPGM121 and P48 6.JPGM121 and P48 7.JPGM121 and P48 8.JPGM121 and P48 9.JPGM121 and P48 10.JPGM121 and P48 11.JPGM121 and P48 12.JPG

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

In the 80s they had a turbo 1.5 liter making 1400hp, so they haven't actually made any progress! Unless they are going to put this in a road car, in which case, cool!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

In the 80s they had a turbo 1.5 liter making 1400hp, so they haven't actually made any progress! Unless they are going to put this in a road car, in which case, cool!?

That motor had to be rebuilt after every race though.  This one is built to last 3700 miles.  Which is quite a bit for a race motor.

• Like 1

I bet if they had dialled the original back to 600 hp it would have lasted that long too! Honestly, it doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment for a company that started as an engine builder.

• Like 2

The P48 is the new DTM / Super GT engine which is built to tight control regulations, so pointless comparing it to the un-regulated F1 engine of the 90s.

Control turbo, 9,500rpm Rev limit, control fuel all of which would have a massive difference on output. The point being to have a much more level playing field of about 600hp across all cars.

As for the F1 engine lasting the required 6,000kms (or about 1,200 F1 laps), it would get nowhere near that. Even in race trim of around 800hp the engines failed many times in races of less than 70 laps.

Yes the qually “grenade” engines were absolute monsters but were built for a much different purpose to very different requirements without controls. Chalk and cheese.

• Like 1

The old M10-based engines were truly built for a single purpose. no engine lasted more than a race or qualifying, depending on use.

Times change, technology improves, and I've been talking with a Swedish guy about M10 builds. He's built a street-driven M10B20 in a 1602 making over 740whp, but I can't comment on the longevity of that. (He holds - or held - the record for a M30B35 - 1140whp/1300Nm - in an E30.)

Our conversations suggest that we could build a street-driven 600hp M10B20 or M10B21 requiring little more than regular servicing and (possibly/probably) an annual refresh (not rebuild). The approach is different to the 80s engines and uses different materials and obviously different engine management. Personally I was considering 500hp as a target.

Seeing the P48 has reinvigorated my interest in that project! Just needs money...

• Like 1

Jeebus, 740whp in a Street car..? That would take some controlling!!

which would be another point, putting all that power down. I think DTM is controlled to a maximum tyre width, which is a lot less than the huge rears used on the BT52.

Hmm, I wonder if he would sell the turbo and manifold seperately... that should bolt straight up.