Sign in to follow this  
m325i

No More 'E'

BMW says goodbye to E

The current issue of Motor Trend is reporting through the grapevine that BMW will drop the underground “e-code” nomenclature for its vehicles. The current 3-Series, for example, is known internally and by those who call themselves real car enthusiasts as the E90, the version sold between 1998 and 2005 the E46, and the generation before that the E36.

According to this Wikipedia article BMW has been using the “e-code” since at least the late Sixties, if not much longer. The “E” stands for Entwicklung, which in German means development or evolution.

MT is also reporting that the “E” will be replaced with an “F” and that the next 5-Series is already known internally as the F10. The next 7-Series due in 2009 will be called F01 and the LWB version F02.

[source: Motor Trend magazine]

Must have run out of e numbers - I suppose f is the next logical letter to use??

oh, I love E.

I dont see why they need to change it, like they can start going into the hundreds like for example 'E101' etc, Im open to change though its good, I mean if I and many others come to terms with cars Bangle had anything to do with I think most people can get over the changing of a letter.

What doesn't make much sense to me is the increasing gaps between series -

e.g. 3 series

E21 -> E30 -> E36 -> E46 -> E90?

5 series

E12? -> E28 -> E34 -> E39 -> E60

What happened to all the numbers in between? I guess some might be used by prototypes, variants etc, but seems a little weird.

Otherwise, don't think it will affect my life if a car company changes the letter they use for internal designation of model lines.

Didn't the in between numbers get used by the X3, X5, Z3, Z4, Z8, new 1 & 6 series???