Sign in to follow this  
Ged

325ic has started 'whining' when driving

Guys

1994 325i convertible. Had it about 3 months

Noticed recently that there is a ' loudish' whining noise eminating ( I think ) from behind me somewhere.

It sounds like a high pitch jet engine, gaining in tone, until the gearchange takes place ( auto ) at which time it drops several levels, then starts again as I accelerate through the gears.

If I sit revving the engine with the car in park then no noise..I am presuming it's the gearbox or something to do with it.

Any suggestions and should I start crying!!

There is no other noise, vibration or apparent problem

Thanks

Ged

possible problems with your vtec?

sounds more like driveshaft though..although im probably wrong...gotten under there and looked for anything obvious?

Unfortunately it is most likely something to do with gearbox as a driveshaft/diff whine would increase with speed but wouldn't suddenly change pitch with gearchange. The fact that it isn't there when you are stationary and rev it probably eliminates anything to do with the torque converter.

Go and see a gearbox place or the stealer and get them to check it before you blow it up!!!

bummer!! :finger:

just a thought, I have a severe whining noise that comes from my passenger seat and definitely increases with speed and revs !!! :lol:

Edited by topless

most likely yo diff!

While the diff is usually the cause of whines, as stated above, the changing of gear changing the pitch and tone would suggest it the box.

:huh:

If it's any help I noticed this morning I can make the pitch go up and down as I am driving by gentle presses up and down on the accelerator.

The revs don't change by much as I am blipping the throttle but it definitely makes the tone of the whine go up and back down.

I am due the first 5000 km service for the extended warranty I purchased when I got the car. Basically an oil change etc

This will be due in a couple of weeks. Will I do damage to the car driving it in this condition.

I am also hoping if it is serious then the warranty should cover the gearbox. It will cost me $250 if it does.

Ged

Air filter dirty? As throttle position and gear change affects the amount of air engine sucks in, so if the air filter is dirty enough, it whistle from trying to suck the air from every crevices it can, muffle by the bonnet could sound like a whining.

I know you said it came from behind, but it's just a thought.

:huh:

Update: It's now doing it in park as well so does that rule out the gearbox.?

I don't hear it with roof down due to road noise. I've had the bonnet up and revved it a few times and the noise doesn't appear to be coming from the engine.

When sitting in the drivers sear it still sounds like its coming from back end i,e above middle of the rear seat.

Absolutely linked to the accelerator pedal and revs..So in park when I rev there is the normal ' roar' of the engine accompanied by a whine that increases in pitch as the accelerator pedal goes further down. It obviously decreases in tone as the revs fall and the pressure on the accelerator comes off.

Does the driveshaft rotate in Park?

Car is booked in next week so will also get them to check.

:wacko:

Well I think we got it sorted out. Having had my wife sitting in the back seat, outside the car, nearly strapped her underneath the dam thing she swore blind it was coming from beneath the back seat somewhere.

The car was into Kevin Burt Motors in the Church for about 90 minutes when they called back. I was all set up for the dreaded news when he informed me the whine was coming from the rear right hand side tweeter :blush:

To his credit he was extremely professional but I'm sure I could see a wry smile on his face as he explained the noise wasn't mechanically related and the car was fine!

Now I need to take it back to the place I got the ICE install from and get them to fix it. I presume it's coming from the alternator.

Should you now wish to throw rocks or indeed insults for overlooking such a basic thing I will stand up and take them :rambo:

Thanks again for your inputs and advice.

Ged

I bet you its coming from your speakers, try the car at idle an rev it.

normally means dodgy earth grounding or arcing

Opps i just read your last post! lol, it happens a fair bit wit car audio setups