Sign in to follow this  
hushmana

Hi guys, my Bimmer is starting to pack it in!!!

After getting an Air duct under the manifold, siliconed back into place, costing me $180 (ripped off) my Bimmer has decided it wants to be sick again.

Driving home from work last week I noticed a banging sound coming from the left hand side rear wheel area. The sound only occurs when I go over the slightest of bumps. It sounds similar to something hitting the bottom of the car. Last July I had new shocks and super low king springs installed so I’m thinking that it can’t be related to those two things.

I have read some passed postings and suggestions have been the

• Sway Bar

• Strut Top

• Possibly the Control Arm Joint

• The lower ball joints.

I’m not at all mechanically savvy, so I wouldn’t even know if any of these are causative.

If any one has any ideas before I put her into the shop, would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mana.

check upper and lower shock mounts, bolt/nut may be loose or rubber bush may be damaged.

Not the exhaust banging against anything?

Hey, how can I tell if the lower and upper shock mounts are loose as well as whether or not the rubber bush is damaged? The exhaust is tight and so are the wheel bolts.

Cheers

Just to add to your list of possible causes although probably not in your case, the half shaft cv's will knock if they're on the out.

I got the problem sorted out. The shock mount had worn away. Got it replaced and now shes all good again.

the top mount? i have the same prob and do not know what it is?? its when i change gear, go over bumps, and brake sometimes.. been trying to work it out